Pigs is Pigs by Ellis Parker Butler

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:50 am

Just in case you have never run across this quirky story (let´s say there is a bit of poetic license taken here -- in other words, you will find mistakes in how to care for gps), you might want to read it. First published in September 1905, it´s become a classic.

The lesson is not to ship guinea pigs. Ever.

http://www.ellisparkerbutler.info/epb/pigsispigs.asp

Click on "READ IT NOW" for text and illustrations.

Sunny

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:17 am

Cute story Lynx. Thanks for sharing.

taterbug

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:46 am

That was a great story. It had me laughing just imagining his face as they kept multiplying. I will be reading that one to my stepdaughter tonight.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:03 am

Gack.

cmtigger

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:03 am

There is a Disney cartoon based on the story too- it is histerical.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:12 am

I bought the book on eBay a long time ago. Very cute!! I´ve got the April 1906 edition. That was back in the good old days when I actually had money to spend. Oh well. I´ve some cute guinea pig things. That was also before I realized how addicting and expensive eBay was!! :)

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:05 am

Never bought a thing on Ebay. One look at U.S. prices is enough to deter me. And then there´s shipping, and customs, and duty....

my2piggies

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:20 pm

I´ve seen the cartoon, husband videoed it for me one night after i´d gone to bed. He didn´t know what it was at first, he just had the tv on in the background and heard the words guineapig and quickly set the video going for me. Bless him.

Laura823

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:39 pm

That is so funny! Thanks for sharing. I printed it out for my mom to read, too. I´d love to see the cartoon!

Laura823

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:45 am

My mom read it twice and laughed till there were tears running down her face. We´re passing it on to my friend´s family, the one with the guinea pig. I haven´t laughed that hard at a short story since the first time I read "My Financial Career" by Stephen Leacock.

Maybe sallytslc should read this before she decides to have her pigs transported by a pet-moving service...