Favourite Foods

weggie

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am

Just a random thread - have your piggies got favourite foods??

My Rocky is a really picky eater so am just after ideas of what new things he can try - I have looked at the fruit and veg pages on here so have a few ideas off there too but the more the merrier!!

Rocky loves Parsley!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:30 am

My boys love parsley too, but you have to be careful because it's high in calcium.

I usually substitute cilantro which they like only SLIGHTLY less.

What's interesting to me is that they have DIFFERENT favorite foods. Snickers will go nuts for corn husks, while Charlie doesn't seem to care for them at all.

serelixyue

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:30 am

our girls love lettuce, cherry tomatoes, parsley parsley parsley. carrots. they do not give a crap about cucumbers, though:S they don't like kale as much.

cochon

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 am

Favorites in our house are parsley and cilantro, peppers, celery leaves, and carrots.

Alden, you're definitely right about having different tastes. It's just hard to notice most of the time because my boys just want whatever the other has :)

lisam

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:59 am

Everyone goes wild for dill.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Escarole. They love it!

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Mine could care less for anything red..... I put a strawberry in their salad, and Jasper jumped to the other side of the plate. I moved the berry closer to him and he jumped again. They won't touch tomatoes either. They'll take a few bites of cukes, but aren't too thrilled with them. They arent too fond of squash, any, either.

They'll eat any leafy green. Flat leaf parsley is like crack to them, but they only get it once a month or so, or if there isn't any good cilantro available. They both love corn husks, green peppers, and green leaf lettuce.

As for fruit, they love sweet apples, grapes, bananas, and melon rind and carrots. Its crazy, but they will eat the whole piece of watermelon rind, but leave behind some of the red melon. They rarely get fruit, maybe one or two pieces a week.

Oh and dill is a current favorite. It smells so good, I want to put it in everything. When I do cook with it, they wheek like crazy.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 pm

I wish mine tried dill. Everybody hated it even the rabbits. Mine like
tomatoes, peppers, lettuces, baby carrots, tolerate kale, chards
not much.

weggie

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I wonder if tastes vary depending on the sex of the pig?

Parsley does seem to be a favourite for everyone though. Rocky only get a sprig at a time.

merrie

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:10 pm

My pigs hate dill. They also despise basil and mint. They're not big fans of herbs in general, but they do like parsley. Cilantro, not so much.

Mine love kale, red leaf lettuce, and escarole. They like Swiss chard but they only eat the leaves; they dislike the stems, apparently. I used to think they did not like tomatoes, but I tried them again yesterday and three out of four did seem to enjoy them. They all go crazy for bell peppers. They don't really like fruit, except maybe a little banana. They haven't been big fans of any of the other fruits I've tried. They like the smell of oranges and wheek for them, but they don't really eat them when given the opportunity.

My bunnies have the exact same preferences as my guinea pigs, so I'm inclined to think it's more about what they are used to eating than anything else. Usually the ones who have different tastes are the fosters, because they are not used to eating what I feed. Otherwise, my pigs aren't terribly individual in their eating habits. Except for my one pig who still doesn't like tomatoes.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Robin Piggy has a dislike of lettuce. He used to turn up his nose at it, but now he will always eat it last. (Most likely to be swiped by his cagemate.) The first time I gave him Basil he turned his nose up at it. Still doesn't like it that much. His favorite by far is cilantro. That gets eaten in a heartbeat.

Linus will eat whatever a human gives him. He is not picky at all. He also eats whatever Robin hasn't eaten by the time he's done with his veggie pile. So I usually tear the veggies up, so when Linus runs up and takes one, its not a very big piece he runs off with, which give Robin time to finish. I think this might be because he originally from a petstore, and I swear since the first time I put a hay seed head in his mouth and he took an experimental bite, he hasn't stopped eating what I've given him since.

They are currently loving corn husks, which I get free from the grocery store. They get that a bit of lettuce or cilantro and they are happy pigs. Robin is funny though. Linus has learned the easiest way to eat them. He puts one paw down on the husk, grabs an end with his teeth, and pulls so he gets a piggy sized strip and scarfs it down. Robin on the other hand tries to find the ones that are rolled up and eat from one end. Even if he can get started on a rolled up end it becomes to big to his mouth, and he doesn't quite know what to do. Then either I rip it up for him, or he just takes little bites until Linus comes along to finish it.

Don't worry he still gets as many veggies as Linus. I usually get him out and let him munch.

jadebeloved

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Alice will tear anything out of my hands. I cannot pinpoint a favorite veggie of hers, nor one she doesn't care for.

Carlie as well... the poor girl can't really be picky, the way she has to keep switching between treats if Esme is on the prowl. She does seem to like carrots in particular. She goes for the cucumber, but usually leaves it for lettuce before finishing her piece.

Esme doesn't take many things from my hands. She does not like green pepper, at all. But pretty much everything else is fair game, as long as someone else has taken a few bites of it first!

Dash is definitely partial to cherry tomatoes. I noticed this when, just after his surgery, he was too groggy to eat down some lettuce but was happy to scarf down one of these buggers. My mom has been growing them on her back deck all summer, so we have plenty! This little piggy DOES NOT like carrots, though.

Overall, the Radicchio seems to be a big hit lately.
Celery leaves were also enjoyed, the couple of times I brought them from work.
Kale is less interesting than leaf lettuce.
Dill was a hit with Bear before he passed, but the girls didn't care for it.

I will have to try corn husks!