Favourite Foods

lovelyFrida

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 pm

My piggies adore watermelon rinds, peppers are close second, but watermelon will probably always be the favorite.

cochon

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:34 pm

The only intense dislike I've seen was way back when Jeffery was a single pig, and I tried to feed him red pepper. He was afraid of it! Terrified. He took a sniff, ran all the way to the other side of the cage chattering his teeth. He stayed in that corner until I took the pepper out of the cage. Silly boy.

EmmitTroy

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:28 am

Troy's favorite is Raddichio, Emmitt is the fatty and he used to love Baby Bok Choy, but not so much any more. Raddishes might be his new favorite, but just like carrots I have to give that to him sparingly as I believe it is high in sugar.

Their main staple of veggies is the pre-washed mix of spring greens from the grocery store, which is perfect because I like it, too! I give them a handful of that twice a day plus a combo of any 2 of the following, rotated each day:

carrot
broccoli
red pepper
cilantro
bean sprouts
raddish
celery leaf
bok choy (baby)
red cabbage.

So, here's a general question for all of you which I tried to start a post about a while back but it got side tracked and digressed into a bunny thread :) Do you give your pigs veggies like every 12 hours? I try to and was just wondering how much and how often is the norm/healthiest. Thanks!

serelixyue

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:43 am

my pigs love toilet paper!! When I'm cleaning their cage, I sometims leave a roll inside and all thepigs crowd around and start nyom nyom nyoming, lol.

tashab

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Our girls get breakfast & dinner veggies but there are many people here who only do breakfast or only do dinner. I think most people do whatever suits their own schedules best.

goosey1019

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah, because of work I only do veggies once a day (dinner). If I have time and the weather cooperates, I try to do some forages in the afternoon as well.

tiamo8cavy8

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 pm

My pigs HATE cherry tomatoes!

For fruits, Daisy and Maus both enjoy strawberries, mango, grapes (especially), apple, cantaloupe..there aren't very many fruits they don't enjoy. Watermelon and banana they don't really like.

Veggies are romaine lettuce, yellow pepper, celery, broccoli, snap/sugar peas...they don't always eat the veggie part of the cauliflower, sometimes only the leaves. They'll pretty much eat whatever. Haven't tried them with any spices/herbs, though.

Pigs recently have stopped liking red pepper. It gets forgotten in the feeding frenzy.

:)

HelloKitty

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 am

Daily Diet:
Romaine (duh)
carrots
celery
bell peppers (no specific colors)
cilantro
cucumbers
strawberries

When I can find it cheap enough:
Corn Husk
spinach
red cabbage
watermelon
parsley
grapes
apple
banana

Grass they are insane for!

Won't even touch:
Raspberries

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 am

Wheat grass is a favorite with my boars!

weggie

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:23 pm

What is best for putting weight back on them? Alfafa??

bethb

Post   » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Chloe Loves green leaf lettuce, celery, & broccolli stems....

So far no tomatos, strawberry,- or anything else I've tried. We will keep trying new things though...she's still young & new to our home.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Bethb I'd ditch the broccoli stems. I'd use it as a very rare treat once a week treat, or leave it out all together.

"Avoid or use sparingly, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, collards, bok choy, broccoli), as they may cause gas in your pet. "

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Cilantro my Robin Piggie loves cilantro. Also green leaf lettuce, and 1 baby carrot per pig a day.