Chooks and pigs? Can they be housed together?

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 7:21 pm

Well, dry chicken poop turns to powder when it dries and it seems to fly everywhere when they flap their wings. I would not put my pigs anywhere near chicken.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:56 pm

Did you read the, "Salmonella has the ability ot survive in the environment"?

Watch out or I´m going to tell Evangeline to work her will on you. Yer not likely to come out alive.

Thibault

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:29 pm

Yeah, but! But! But! Are you saying that if we get chooks, I´ll have to have all my pigs inside? *please, please, please*

As long she doesn´t intend on use a whip and leather mask, I´m okay with that. ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:32 pm

You´d be lucky if she only used her whip and leather mask!

You might be able to keep them both outside but you need very different areas. If you have an extension service they might be able to advise you of how much of a problem this might be. There might even be tests you could do to see if this bird had salmonella (checking the feces).

It´s all up to you now. Do some research on your own and figure out what is the safest.

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:01 am

And I am very interested in what you find out, so could you please let us know? There is nothing like a warm brown egg right out of a beautiful speckled (or red, brown, etc...) hen.

I had heard a rumour once that chickens fed organic food may not have salmonella.

Thibault

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:02 am

I just looked in to that rumour, seems it´s true. Poultry that feeds on pasture is less likely to develop Salmonella than grain-fed ones.
BUt, Lynx, (stupid question, but) what´s an extension service?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:39 am

I forgot you´re in Australia (right?) but around here (USA) there are state and local extension services that help farmers and the public on agricultural issues (and would know about things like this). They also have info on spraying schedules for fruit trees and advice on gardening. They can do testing or tell you where to get it done and are aware of farming animal diseases.

Hey, I drempt about chickens last night -- they were laying eggs like crazy, 3 or 4 popping out of one chicken at a time. Now I wonder where that came from....

Stargazer49

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:36 am

[Sez Stargazer with a reallllly big grin...]

Thibault, there is but ONE solution to this delimina---

The wheekers MUST BECOME HOUSE PETS....immediately, if not sooner!! LOL...

It´s the ONLY sensible solution and of course, it the ONLY way your Papa can have his CHOOKS....and you can have your darlin´ little "mates" in your room, too!! Hee hee....

Stargazer49

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:38 am

Tee hee....I´m soooo brilliant, it almost scares me at times!  :)