Post   » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 pm

MISSOURI

St. Louis (Creve Coeur)

Dr. Christopher Moritz
Everything Pets Animal Hospital
12597 Olive Blvd.
Creve Coeur, MO 63141

(314) 469-0075

Dr. Moritz really takes the time to get to know your guinea pig. He is very willing to listen to your opinions and is always open to new ideas and research. He was interested in Guinea Lynx and the medical information I had acquired here.

I initally took Ginger to Dr. Moritz for her pneumonia. Dr. Moritz did a full exam, checking her teeth, nails, ears, nose, etc. He asked all about her diet and housing. He has done several x-rays on Ginger, and he has taken a lot of time to explain the x-rays to me. He was very detailed in telling me about treatments options and had me take a nebulizer home to do treatments to help her breathe. I have called the office asking numerous questions, and the staff has been very nice too.

Dr. Moritz is also recommended by the House Rabbit Society. His clinic also sells Oxbow products.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:43 pm

CALIFORNIA

Crossroads Animal Emergency and Referral Center
11057 E. Rosecrans Ave
Norwalk, CA- 90650

Dr. Richard Rotmistrovsky

Phone# 562-863-2522

This is an emergency hospital so their hours differ from a regular vet clinic. There is also no guarentee this particular vet will be on duty. This emergency hospital was also very reasonable. I paid only $25.00 for xrays, $55.00 for exam, and received a discount because Violet was rescued.

My regular cavy vet was familiar with Dr. Rotmistrovsky and agreed with his protocals. She went in for abdominal distension.

Gambits Mom

Post   » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:39 am

PENNSYLVANIA

Dr. Michael Hutchinson and Dr. Meyers
20411 Route 19
Unit # 10
Cranberry TWP, PA 16066
724-776-7930

Dr. Mike treated my boys for a few things in the 7 months I've been going to him. He treated Cyrus for an eye infection, both Cyrus and Gambit for mites (and did EVERYTHING guinea lynx said, including not doing a skin scrape since it rarely shows anything, he said he didn't want to hurt the piggies), and just recently did Gambit's bladder stone surgery. It was very risky as the stone moved into Gambit's urethra but he did a wonderful job.

He has worked with guinea pigs since the 80s and has done everything right, including having me call 3 days after surgery (Gambit had it on a Thursday) so I can update him on how he was doing and being avalible to me when I have a question.

Dr. Meyers saw Gambit on a Saturday (they a 8am-12pm Saturday hours) and she was very concerned and was so kind. She has a guinea pig and has worked with them for years as well. When I was waiting in the waiting room for Gambit's surgery to be started and obviously was very upset she kept checking on me.

This group is so friendly and open to all knowledge that someone may have on their animals and he LISTENS to what you have to say. He's very gentle and good when examining the piggies and follows everything guinea lynx says a vet should do.

He also is kind to me because he knows financially I am not in the best situation and he only charged me for one dose of Ivermectin instead of of all three and is reasonable priced. :)

kaylabean

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:57 pm

2-CANADA
Pickering Ontario

Pickering animal hospital
1450 Kingston rd
northwest corner of kingston and valley farm
905-420-1734
Dr. Susan Mcmillen

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:58 pm

MASSACHUSETTS

Dr. Elizabeth Hartman and Dr. Janet Tast
Wellesley Animal Hospital
314 Weston Road Wellesley, MA 02181
(617) 237-0066

They see a lot of cavies and are very knowledgeable and open to working closely with caretakers. Less gung-ho about pushing high-cost treatment than Angell Memorial.

gopherdylan
GL Addict

Post   » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:35 pm

NEBRASKA - Lincoln

Dr. Micah Kohles
Dr. Carrie Frey

Nebraska Animal Medical Center
5720 Old Cheney Road
Lincoln, NE 68516
Email: namc@namcvet.com
Tel: (402) 423-9100
Fax: (402) 423-9171
24-Hour Emergency: (402) 423-9100

I have seen both, prefer Dr. Kohles as he is my regular vet. Caught head tilt problem I didn't even see. Does follow-up calls. Both are trained in Exotic/Small Mammals. This is a large vets office that sees all pets. 24-hour emergency services is good for peace of mind.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:46 pm

UPDATE!

SOUTH FLORIDA

Dr. Rupp can no longer be recommended here, as he had moved from the area. I found this out abruptly and at a rather bad time.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 500#546500[/b]

twiggy_trace

Post   » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:37 pm

PA / WV

ERIE AREA/ Edinboro, PA

Camboro Veterinary Hospital
5989 Route 6N
Edinboro, PA 16412
814-734-1628

Dr. Orozco is the small animal vet here. He's really helpful and can even make the medicine taste good for the piggies (Zeus loved it!).

CHARLESTON, WV AREA
Good Shepherd Veterinary Hospital
3703 MacCorkle Ave SE
Charleston, WV 25304
(304)964-7387

Dr. Stephenson will make emergency visits and even offered to come in from an out-of-state visit once if I (well, my piggy) needed her, which is very helpful because the area emergency clinic only takes dogs and cats.

anglaz

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:04 pm

CALIFORNIA

Dr. J. J. Bonavera
Canyon Country Animal Hospital
18840 Soledad Canyon Rd.
661-252-9500

Excellent with exotics. He's one of the few vets in the area that will even touch them. Dr. Bonavera saved the life of my senior pig by performing what is known to be a very risky surgery. This is one skilled exotics vet. And very affordable!

Laurie5pigs
Supporter in '06

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:51 am

CONNECTICUT (metro Hartford)

Sean Pampreen, D.V.M.
Aubrey Fitch, V.M.D.

Marlborough Bird & Animal Hospital
21 South Main Street
Marlborough, CT 06447

(860) 295-1595

Both Dr. Pampreen & Dr. Fitch see a variety of animals regularly but their speciality is Exotic Animals. Dr. Pampreen has been caring for my guinea pigs and rabbits. Performed 3 gp boar neuters successfully with no complications. Kind, friendly, compassionate staff. Both vets are very patient & gentle.

~~~~~

Kathryn Zyra, V.M.D.

Bolton Veterinary Hospital
222 Boston Turnpike (Route 6)
Bolton, CT 06043

(860) 646-6134
boltonvet@aol.com

Dr. Zyra specializes in Exotic pets and Wildlife. She has seen my rabbit. She has 3 house rabbits and 2 guinea pigs and is a friendly, compassionate vet. Nice but busy office.

[/b]

coki
eats poos & leaves

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 4:09 pm

HAWAII - Honolulu

Douglas Chang, D.V.M.
Aloha Animal Hospital
4224 Waialae Avenue
(808) 734-2242

Very good with exotics, including bunnies, cavies, pueo (wild owls), fish. He is very patient and knowledgable; takes the time to evaluate the animal and explain to the human. He is a talented surgeon.

Kelida

Post   » Sat May 28, 2005 1:50 pm

MAYFIELD, KY -- Dr. Ray, DVM

30 minute drive from Murray, KY
30 minute drive from Paducah, KY
1 hr drive from Metropolis, IL
2 hr drive from Clarksville, TN
3 hr drive from Nashville, TN

Mayfield Veterinary Clinic, P.S.C.
501 W. James St
Mayfield, KY 42066
(270) 247-2915

Diagnosed my girls with mites when they had been mis-diagnosed previously with lice. Treated them with oral ivermectin. Knows the evils of cedar and pine bedding, recommends Advantage for flea/lice problems, and encourages weekly weighings. Reluctant to spay or neuter unless health problems like ovarian cysts crop up, but he can and will do it. Office visits are $15 before medicine and lab costs.

------------------------

NASHVILLE, TN - Dr. Micheal Lutz, DVM

1 hr drive from Clarksville, TN
2 hr drive from Paducah, KY
2 hr drive from Bowling Green, KY

West Meade Animal Clinic
990 Davidson Drive
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-1152

I am VERY skeptical about Dr. Lutz's treatment for guinea pigs. He misdiagnosed mites as lice and told me to use flea powder on them for treatment, waving aside my arguments for Advantage and/or Ivermectin.

However, he is willing to spay/neuter, and has done a very successful spay on my mother's sow, JoJo. I am going to take my boar, Fieval, to him for a neuter. Spays/neuters are the only thing I will recommend Dr. Lutz for. Spay: $125. Neuter: $105.