Show your cage IV

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:35 am

CavyPlethoras - I think Feylin was referring to kywildpigs statement about wanting to get rid of the pigloos.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:36 am

If you have cats that will harm the pigs, you need a LID, not pigloos. Pigloos won't protect the pigs.

I'm not sure why you thought ii was saying the pigs should free range?

Edit- pigsforlife explained it. Haha, I was so confused. :)

CavyPlethoras

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:30 am

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant don't give them a cage! Sorry!

tiffers

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I love this thread. My other half and I are working towards building a nicer area for the pigs. Right now, they are in a ferret playpen. I have two cats, two dogs, and one of those dogs ensures that one of those cats NEVER goes near the pigs. She is VERY protective of the pigs. I've been wanting to get the shorter play pen things, like the one's for guinea pigs...but, I am worried it's too short...the one I use now, for ferrets, is too tall. I can barely reach my pigs from bending over the top. Haha! But, this thread has given me a TON of toy ideas. Seriously...a TON! When me and pigs get home tonight (I bring them to work with me sometimes), they're going to be in awe from all the new toys. Hahaha!

Feylin

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Tiffers, have you seen www.guineapigcages.com? They have a ton of cage pictures and tips.

tiffers

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Yeah, actually...I've looked through there for ideas, as well! I always love looking at anything I can possibly soak up.

I deep clean every Saturday, and I want my piglets to have something different with every change. So the more I see, the better!

But, I've only recently started looking at 'homemade' toys...I've been stressed because I've not been able to splurge on a bunch of labeled guinea pig toys. So, I figure I'll try out all these things other people are doing that they either repurposing or making themselves in case my pigs REALLY like them. It's environmentally friendly and budget friendly. ;)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:08 pm

The best toy in this house was a brown lunch bag with hay in it. Endless amusement.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Best Guinea Pig Toy Ever as voted by Linus.

Empty paper towel roll. Or empty toliet paper roll. And his roommate requests that any paper towel rolls be torn in half so they can both have one.

Like Bug's mom said a paper bag with hay in it is also much loved.

tiffers

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I have seen the paper sack idea, and that's one that's on my list to go home and try!

I used to give the empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls when I had rats/mice...I never thought to use them with my pigs (I've only had pigs since August '10). I have seen some pictures where they are stuffed with hay, so I am definitely going to try that when I get an empty roll! Haha!

I do have a question though, maybe this is not the correct thread to do so...but, I see many cages have wooden houses.

I was always told with rats and mice not to get the wooden houses because their urine sticks in the wood and anything harmful, the wood soaks up and keeps rexposing the pet...? I realize the wood is for chewing, so I give my pigs mineral blocks, which they seem to love, but...is that not enough?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Lose the mineral blocks. They don't need them and they can be harmful. A constant supply of hay is what will keep your GP's teeth in good condition.

Also, if you give paper towel or TP paper roll to play with, always split it lengthwise. Nothing more frightening to a pig than to be stuck and can't get out.

tiffers

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Oh, heaven's...my girls eat TONS of hay. I tried those apple branches they sell at PetSmart, but Loofah isn't too thrilled with treats. The girl I rescued on Saturday loves extra treats.

Hay really will file down the incisors, or just the molars? I imagine just the molars? I'll get rid of the mineral blocks, though, the new girl loves them. (She doesn't have a name yet...)

tiffers

Post   » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Okay...maybe I went overboard. But, I wanted to show you what they had prior to today.

Pig Pen This AM:

Pig Pen This PM:

The Tour:

Did away with the pigloo, used a stool instead. Put a hankie inside, with a Carefresh stuffed crazy sock for a pillow. Also bungee cords holding all the hanging stuff instead of them being plastered to the sides:

Towel tent...which they LOVE. Also comes with a hankie and watermelon carefresh sock. It's clothes pinned on and draped over the bungee cord:

Oh look, two pigs already in the towel tent:

Oh, and here's my old crazy sock...formed into piglet pillow. :) ...I only wear crazy socks, and have an over filling drawer...I figured the watermelons would be nice for the pigs. They're stuffed with Carefresh bedding.

Food area. The one bowl is empty because that's the breakfast bowl. That's where the salad and such goes every morning...since getting a second pig...there are NEVER any leftovers. I swear they lick the thing clean.

Oh, pigs in the tent...again. :)

Water bottle, brick, and hay in a paper bag...which...apparently scared the beejeezus out of one of them:

Loofah enjoying the tent:

No Name enjoying the hay bag:

And Chica enjoying the piglets enjoying their improved palace: