Show your cage IV

shanachie05

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Ugh, ANTS! Onetwo-we went to a horse show this past week, all week and the ants were everywhere. I hear you on the ants. They got into the cereal and then into the piggy food. It was so nasty!

SwtMelly

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Seriously, y'all are more concerned about ants!! A fall off that ramp or the top floor of the cage (3.5ft) that's what needs addressing.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh man, my piggies would never stay in their cage if there weren't fronts/sides. They have no sense of self-preservation and are always leaping about.

DaCourt

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

onetwo...we are just concerned for your pigs. Did you not think people would comment? Honestly, you should have waited to post when it was all done. That tiny little lip on the ramp is not nearly enough to keep your pigs safe. If one is trying to come down, and another is trying to go up, what is going to happen when one tries to turn around.

It is a nice set up, but we are just worried about injuries. It was suggested to maybe take out the extra level of grids between the top and bottom floors. That would free up some grids and make the ramp safer.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Actually, I had 2 levels of grids like that. It was MUCH easier on my back. Significantly easier.

All Onetwo has to do is slap some cardboard up there for now and it will be safe until she can get grids or plexiglass or whatever she prefers.

Anyone else notice that once again, Onetwo is refusing to make a simple cheap fix that will prevent serious injury to her pigs? It's the same pattern as before.

Onetwo, PLEASE prove me wrong by putting cardboard up.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm

She never listens when it's something she doesn't want to hear so of course she's not listening now. We're being ignored-again. That ramp needs some work as well. Wouldn't take much for a fall or jump.

spedder

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 am

Alright, here's version #4 of our cage. Gizmo on top in the 3x2 with the 1x2 kitchen (just waiting for his neuter), sows on the bottom. Gizmo would LOVE to get over that wall :D The ramp is actually a carpet tube--my husband worked in upscale carpeting for decades, so he's got a "supplier" for the good stuff... This one is temporary, just until Gizmo is ready for his big debut.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 am

Put a lid on that part of his cage. I had a boar climb a grid wall like that and launch him self down the same grid height to get to the pigs below!

Travelingirl916

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:29 pm

I like your cage and the carpet roll ramp! What do you use for traction inside the ramp?

spedder

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:45 pm

So I'm new to this guinea pig gig, and didn't realize that traction would be needed--until I listened to poor Giz try SOOOO hard to get up the ramp, scritch, scritch, scritch :) We just threaded one of our old receiving blankets through the tube, and wrapped it around the zip tie that's holding the carpet tube in place at the top. That way we can wash it weekly with the rest of the piggy laundry.

Travelingirl916

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

That's so funny! That's a wonderful idea for a ramp- if I ever make one, I think I will try that idea.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Did you see my suggestion for putting a lid on his cage up there? Sorry to harass you about it, but he WILL launch himself to the ladies. It's happened to me.

spedder

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Are you kidding Feylin, it's already done! :) I have absolutely NO interest in a broken piggy or any more litters!!! I know good advice when I see it.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Can I show my cage if its really a pen? Outdoor pen:

And it all folds up for storage or hauling somewhere else:

Mom2boars

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh, oh, come make me one!! I have an outdoor pen but it's not as cool as yours. AND it folds up?! So jealous! ;)

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks! I thought it was cool, too, so I took a stab at making directions to share the fun: Outdoor Pen How-To.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Here are pictures of Debs4pigs newly designed cage. She says it is 5 x 5, and she is thinking of adding a second level. Her 3 boys live in it.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am

Here is my top cage, I just finished redoing the layout. Its a 2X6 housing 3 females and 1 Neutered Male. I took out the kitchen area, I'm going to try it for a while with out.

Hay and pellet area, water bottles are all along the front of the cage, which you can't see in these photos.

Middle of the cage.

Far side of the cage.

Next week I'm getting some uhaul blankets. I want to make some cage liners for my two cages. I'll take a photo of the boys cage tomorrow after I do a cleaning.

Char-x

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 am

Please can people share their cage on my guinea pig facebook page? We are trying to promote these cages and the more we have to show people, the more it seems to be catching on (so many members pigs are in tiny pet store cages so please help!).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guinea-Pigs/215129088517821

clairey

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

I'll be taking cage photos in the next few days as I have new fleece. I'll add a pic to your Facebook page then. Or whenever this infernal fleece is washed enough to wick!

379 posts