My Guinea Pig Just Ate My Hair!

MyLittlePiggy07

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:04 am

Okay, so this is extremely odd. I'm still trying to get use to the behaviors of my relatively new guinea pig. I have really long hair & just now when I had my two guinea pigs out, I didn't realize my hair was right next to Carlton. He sawwed off an inch of my hair & ate it all within a matter of seconds. I usally put my hair up when I take him out because in the past he has darted up my chest to try & get a clump of my hair. I find it bizarre the he has this fettish. One day when I was kissing his nose he started chewing on my eyebrows. If I would have let him he would have probably shaved those off too!

Anyways, my question is will eating an inch of my hair hurt him?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 am

He's barbering you! I don't think it will hurt him. This has happened before, I'll try to find the thread.

MyLittlePiggy07

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:17 am

Barbering? Really? How come my other piggy doesn't do it? Carlton has longer hair & my other one has short. Is it just long haired piggies that do it?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:25 am

Since all my pigs are bald, I'm the wrong person to ask! Someone else may know.

I found the link though:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57322

LandosMomma

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 am

My bald and haired piggies do it. Just try and stop them before they can eat too much of it. It means they love you.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 am

Alice tries to barber the shirts I wear. I've learned that when she starts biting it, I take the tip of my forefinger and put it between her ears, and lightly press. It works on her. I make sure to be consistent with it. She doesn't try it as much as she used to unless she isn't ready to go in her cage yet.

MyLittlePiggy07

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks PinkRufus for digging up that thread! At first I didn't think it was normal. Thanks to the other two for your two cents!

I'm suprised Carlton doesn't barber his own hair if he's doing it to me. He was so quick at trimming it off. I'll just have to make sure I put my hair up every time I'm around him so the little guy isn't tempted to give me a hair cut. Tee hee. He's so different than my other piggy. He wants to chew on & eat EVERYTHING.

Oh I just read the thread & saw that most likely my hair would probably be grinded down to nothing with the use of their molars. That's good to know so now I can stop worrying.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 am

My daughter and I had our guinea pig Peppers(rip) out on the bed one day and before we knew it he had sucked down quite a bit of her hair. He had chewed it off but I was able to grasp it before he chewed it up and swallowed it. I pulled it out and was amazed how much he had in his mouth. It was green where he had just ate lettuce.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:15 am

My pig in high school used to eat my hair all the time. It drove my mother crazy because my hair looked like crap. :)

MyLittlePiggy07

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:49 am

Hehe. Guinea pig's are such unique little creatures. Who knew they could be a hair dresser? Ha.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:06 pm

I had a pig who loved my hair as well. I had a good talk with her, told her it's not a type of luscious hay, lol.

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Raziel used to be the same way! It was weird at first.