I´m new here.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:41 am

I think you should change your title back, lynx. *wink* (notice not using an animated smiley wink there, hehe. I´m trying to gain brownie points... please notice my efforts LOL)
Yes, I suppose I went overboard. It all goes to show even the best of us can be cranky (I don´t have the headache I had all yesterday).
Aw, we all have bad days. I really did understand what you were saying and trying to convey.. I just got offended prolly (yes that is a word. Okay so maybe not... humor me) because I´m mega sleep deprived (seriously... major insomnia issues here even trying medication now to no avail) and my oldest child is on spring break. Which means... I´m just about to hit boiling point with these kiddos. Thank GOODNESS school starts back up Monday for her. LOL
I used to post alot at CG and moderate a med board with Pinta. There were so many posts there I found I was skipping alot of them and ended up reading only a handful. I guess I had visions of not being able to even keep up with this site. CG is so large, it would take me hours and hours to do a backup on my puny modem.
I TOTALLY understand! I have owned boards as well as co-own one now. Not guinea pig related at all but up until a few weeks ago when I got satellite internet service I was right where you are -in the same shoes with dial up service. I just always grumbled to myself because well.... I´m an outspoken person not used to holding my tongue, but how can you complain about how many posts people are making on a board that is CALLED blabbermouths? LOL It´s kinda expected there...
If you´ll forgive my outburst (and realize I have faults), please go on posting. I´ll try to keep my Jeckle and Hyde personality in check (and if I can´t, maybe Pinta can).
Totally forgiven and I will try not to get my panties in a wad so easily in the future. Deal? *smile*
I ought to write up something to at least indicate this site is here for the long run and I´m hoping I will always be able to maintain it adequately. I´ve set it up to be streamlined and clean. And text is not as resource intensive as lots of pics.
Totally understand. I´m just learning how different boards work as far as maintaining/etc. On ezboard we just archive stuff lickity split so it´s not really an issue for us. But please don´t worry about me and pictures though, I know how to keep them off the site and posted from my webspace only since ezboard doesn´t even allow the option of putting a pic in the post without doing so. *smiles again*
To give you an idea what kind of person I am, I used to regularly cut off the hot water for my son´s showers (he took ungodly long showers). He´s moved out and probably happy he has (we otherwise get along fine).
HAHAHAHA that is too funny because I have honestly thought of doing the same thing when my husband takes showers.. if only I could figure out how to do it. I do sometimes flush the toilet so he´ll get the hint it´s TIME to get out of the shower though. Does that count? hehe

(ps. If anyone is marrying bats it better be me. Just for the guinea pig cage, you understand. )

Oh and btw... if 4lbs is a monstrous size, does this mean Isabelle at 3lbs is considered pretty big? I guess I was thinking they all got this big eventually? Am I mistaken?
Last edited by aSAHMof3Rs on Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:18 am

Well, my Kitten (girl pig) is just about 3 1/2 pounds so your scrawny Isabelle might not make it into the "pretty big" category just yet. Maybe it would depend on the number of double chins and the nonse-to-nose/girth ratio.

I am likely to end up with a dial up modem only. When you live out in the country, they never bring cable out and the phone lines are just regular crumby old phone lines that I have to complain about periodically (strange ringing noises). And I can´t justify a satelite connectioin. I started with an ezboard -- they are nice and there really isn´t any maintenance to do with them. But the search feature is non-functional and I figured if I wanted medical information accessible, I would have to do it this way. And it allows for lots more customization.

Usually the hot water heater will have a shut-off valve near the tank. That´s what I used. You can do it gradually and make him think he is running out of water (but my son could hear the threats so that wouldn´t have worked).

Well, glad you can take it and kind of understand where I was coming from. Last year when Cavies Galore was for sale, I briefly thought of buying it but the hours and hours required for downloading backups were one of the things that really scared me off.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:10 am

CAvies Galore was for sell? See stuff like that is over my head.... didn´t know someone sold it to someone else. How much something like that go for? LOL

And btw- while I´m being nosey... you own this board so does that mean you own the guinealynx website that links to this as the forum but has lots of info about the caring of cavies there? If so, that was one of the first boards I read about care. ON cavymadness which I found and was posting there first- they would always link to guinealynx when someone had care questions and to cavycages if someone had questions about how to make a cage and have it the right size/etc. Anyways, just curious if you owned that too... a plethera of info there and I learned a lot in my early days (haha- first week) of owning Isabelle.

Okay that´s good... that Izzy isn´t monstrous size yet. I might be overfeeding her though. I hope not... the veggies I am working on making sure it´s about a cup a day -with maybe a little extra at times but then she picks what she likes and ignores the rest so I figure even offering more she´s only eating a cup full- but she eats tons of timothy hay, sorta will nibble on the orchard grass (it´s new to her) sometimes, totally digging the pellets now that they are cavy cuisine (timothy hay based) and even munching on the timothy hay cubes. She did leave veggies earlier that she would normally eat. I think she gorged herself on the new Oxbow hay, grass and pellets I got for her today. LOL She sure did nap a lot after that too. LOL

I thought I would be with dialup forever too because I also live out in the country and it would be probably 20yrs (if that- haha) before we got cable or digital and all that stuff. Satellite was the only way I could get faster internet and it costs more but take out the cost of the 2nd phone line used with dialup, take out the dialup ISP cost- and it came out to almost the same... PLUS the additional cable tv for two rooms sweetened the deal. LOL So far I like it- although when I get on it´s usually nighttime and that is when they seem to be doing a lot of "maintenance" to work out the "kinks" because ofcourse I got the newest 2 receiver satellite so it´s got kinks to work out still. *sigh*

(ps. search function works on ezboard now. It didn´t for almost a year and a half- but recently started working again. Talk about slow people to get things fixed and working! geesh)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:01 am

It works? Really? I gotta see that. I´ll check it out over at Cavy Madness. I thought all was lost.

I write, maintain, and edit Guinea Lynx. I got a few med books in an effort to ensure that things are more or less accurate. But lots of people have contributed information (especially Pinta) or provided the base on which I worked. I have gotten lazy about adding new articles but sometimes someone will give me the push I need to do more research on a topic. Linking to experiences and advice on the forums is useful too.

The reference was an attempt to organize alot of the good advice out there (like I said, alot of it was Pinta´s) in the hope that some posters asking the same questions over and over again would instead find the info in the reference. I tried to set it up so things could be found and the Atomz search feature works just wonderfully to see if any mention is made of a topic.

I make do on one phone line. Too cheap to get two. I tell people to email me if they really have to get through (it´s only on the weekends when both my husband and daughter may be on that it really kicks in -- otherwise I´m on intermittently during the day).

I think the asking price for Cavies Galore was $1000, rather modest for the time and investment put into it. A young man (in school) started it and found he didn´t have the time he used to have to maintain it. But the online world is one of intregue and mystery -- a big soap opera, if you ask my opinion. Me? I just like to have fun.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:25 pm

As long as it´s CHEAP fun, or even better FREE FUN!

Lynx is renowned for being the very epitome of frugality. She has it down to a fine art. In fact, rumor has it she can feed her whole family for a month on what I spend on imported truffles in just one week!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:45 pm

Only if you don´t count the funds for her chocolate addiction...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:13 pm

Don´t forget my latest chocolate haul only cost $.33 a pound. A pitance, really. So, depending on exactly how much Pigpal invests in imported truffles, she might actually be correct.

And yes, free fun in the best.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:38 pm

0.33$ a pound is still too much for the crap you´re eating. Nothing but sugar and chemicals. Calling it chocolate is so wrong.

Jill

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:42 pm

Cheap chocolate still beats drinking Nyquil when you´re out of booze!

pinta

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:43 pm

Not that crap.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:45 pm

Evangeline is just jealous. I save up my money and spend it on things that really matter, like guinea pigs.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:05 pm

I suspect you don´t spend it at all. A classic hoarder. Probably have wads of it under the mattress and bulging safe deposit boxes all over the state.

"It" being cash, of course, NOT piggy poop.
Last edited by pigpal on Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:25 pm

If piggy poop was legal tender, we´d all be rich!

Lynx, my husband and I have been making hand-dipped chocolates for the past twenty years or so. Cream centers, mostly. I could be persuaded to whip up a batch and send it to you, ´cause we old broads need to stick together! I´d even send it in a plain brown wrapper.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:15 pm

That really sounds intriguing. At the moment I have chocolate coming out of my ears though, and I feel like I am slitting my throat every time I mention that I like it. I think I should try a couple days off -- cold turkey. Or maybe just one day.

What kind of creme centers? flavored? minty? nutty? I´ve never known anyone who made them. They sure do sound interesting. I may come begging at your door in a few months but there are still at least 20 pounds of chocolate in this house. I had better wait. Maybe next Christmas when you are in your chocolate making frenzy.

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:23 pm

Centers are lots of flavors...cherry, orange, mint, raspberry...depends on what kind of oils we can get. My husband also makes these maple centers that people either love or hate. I´m on the hate side.

It started when we were poor and couldn´t afford presents for anyone. We started making about 6-8 pounds and our last batch was over 30 pounds. It kinda has turned into a monster. It´s really not that hard, but by the time we´re done, I´m not too interested in anything sweet for a while.

So, let me know when you have a chocolate emergency. For you, I´ll make a special order.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:32 pm

I think I´d be on the maple hate side. As a person of simple tastes, my best bet would be for the mint.

Ya never know -- maybe you might want to share your secrets and we´ll all make chocolate creams (I remember being poor really well -- living cheaply is a mindset that´s hard to break. My solution to the gift dilemma is no gifts at all. It works when you´re also a lazy dog).

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:35 pm

I know what you mean. I have five brothers and sisters. By the time they started having kids and their kids started having kids, I said enough! Now everyone gets my best wishes. We also have a family tradition of being late with everything. Come to think of it, I never did send out those Christmas cards!

Hey, any time y´all want to learn...although it´s kind of frightening to think you can make your own chocolates any time you want.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:08 am

Hmm, Lynx what chocolate are you talking about having 30lbs of it and WHY? I thought I was a chocoholic... you have me beat. LOL

Becky- sounds yummy! Can you make fudge or chocolatey cream centers (kinda like truffles but softer on the inside)?? Those are dreamy... I wanna know how to make them myself! Now I´m craving some.. thanks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:47 am

The chocolate was cheap Easter mark down from Walmart. The sign said 75 cents a bag but when I checked out, they had reduced it to 25 cents a bag (chocolate eggs). So I muscled some trays into a cart and drove off with over 50 pounds of chocolate (Evangeline thinks this stuff is misnamed -- I think she´s just jealous). I did share with a friend (18 pounds). I´ve been reformulating it by melting it in the microwave, adding some real butter and cocoa and rolling in cocoa. Sometimes adding almonds, almond extract and once adding brandy.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:18 am

OMG .. chocolate eggs. Are they totally chocolate or with the crisp shell on the outside? Doesn´t matter.. I love them both! What a bargain! LOL

146 posts