Cuy Data

moonfall

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Looking at the Coke can reference pictures, I don't think my largest pig is a cuy after all. She weighs at least 3 lbs and originally came from Petco, so she could be part cuy though.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

LilIriDai, they were bred to be bigger as a protein source. Here is an article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3946771.stm

MooMooSera

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:18 pm

I'm pretty sure one of the Guinea pigs we had in the past was a cuy.
Her name was Caramel
Female
We got her in October 2008 at a Petsmart in Rhode Island.
weight about six to six and a half pounds
She was a red and white crested
Her feet were normal
She didn't get along with the other two piggies we had at the time and she was rather grumpy.
Caramel didn't have any known health problems however, she did die rather suddenly when she was about two and a half years old. She weighed a good six pounds when she died.

We got her when she was about two months old. She was normal sized for a young guinea pig but she seemed to grow about two times faster and larger than any of the other piggies we had.
I would post a picture but I'm not sure how to do that.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 am

Thank you for posting. If you would like I can post a pic for you if you can email it to me at cavyhaven_adoptions@yahoo.com

MooMooSera

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 1:12 am

Okay, I just sent you a few pictures of Caramel. One of her when we got her, one with her next to two other full grown Guinea pigs and one of her just days before she passed

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 1:54 am

MooMooSera's pictures:

2 months old:

Caramel at 2 1/2 years old:

Caramel next to two full grown guinea pigs:

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 4:50 am

After looking at this page, and the pictures, I'm pretty sure Mr. Fast Feet is a cuy. Not entirely sure, as he's not full grown yet, but he was way bigger than any of the other guinea pigs they had. Maybe he's just older than they told us...I will see what the vet says when I bring him in!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 6:44 am

Apparently, there is also a breed called "Cuyes Cobayos", which is the largest type of cuy. I've seen those here, as cuy have been around for several years here now.

Here is a great article of the Dutch rodent society. You can throw it through google translate to read it. Beware of the roasted cuys in pics in case you are screamish!!!
http://www.kleineknaagdieren.nl/artikel ... /index.php

Here is another great Dutch article, but beware of more roasted cuy pics. It contains pics with the difference between baby cuys and adult cuys. Also, at the bottom, a pic of the type of cuy I have seen here, which is bigger, WAY bigger.
http://caviadroomland2.webs.com/decuycavia.htm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 pm

MooMooSera, let me know if you'd like your photos added permanently to this thread (I can upload them here and relink them).

MooMooSera

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 1:15 pm

You can permanently add the pictures to the thread Lynx. Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks. I did so (relinked Charybdis' pics).

LilIriDai

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Do you pronounce "cuy" like guy?