Cuy Data

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

I know, Princess, I did see both. They just look too big to be "regular" pigs.

Princess Phoebe

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 pm

My thoughts exactly. Both look sweet and cuddly. Did someone say if they are handled as young pigs, they are more social instead of fraidy-pigs?

wenton5

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Question, I have just obtained a Cuy from a rescue, she is the sweetest thing ever but dosn't really eat much hay, she is mainly a pellet and veggie girl. Have any of you experienced any abnormalities in "quirx" , health issues besides heart and dietary habits? Thanks! Lara, Skunky (RIP), Smore the more mores, Cuy Mo girl, Little Miss Tia girl and the white knight, Romeo choo choochi Anderson aka chooch le boo.
I hope all of you and your fur babies are healthy, happy and well.
Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 pm

See if you can get her interested in clean fresh grass. It should be a short hop to eating hay (it is so important!).

wenton5

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Lynx, thank you, yes, she is already eating organic wheat grass. A little timothy hay and she dosn't show any interest in any other hay besides that. I get KMS timothy pellets and she will a eat a bit of that. My concern is that the fresh wheatgrass dosn't help much with making sure the teeth don't grow. :)
thank you so much for your reply.
Lara and the gang

Tensonstar

Post   » Fri May 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Sp heres my girls Xena and Cali.

cali close up

Xena close up
lol her butts squished

also here some helpfull links to help with guinea pigs with heart problems
http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/rem ... eapig.html
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/heartproblems.htm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 10:51 am

Diet changes alone will not take care of heart problems. Do not post outdated and unhelpful heart advice.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Tensonstar

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 pm

oh sorry, it jest i was asked a question so i posted what i had. also i dont like taking meds myself so i want to help my animals the natural way too, plus it not to cure heart problem it to help prevent it.

Cutestuff111

Post   » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi! I am new to this site and am so glad to have found discussions on cuy.
I've had guinea pigs as pets for many years but when I saw what I now know are cuy at a Petco in California in December, 2009 I knew I had to have them.
I purchased a sow and boar. They had one litter of 4 healthy pigs, and then I had the boar neutered.
Both Alberta and Checkers have well-shaped feet with the normal number of toes (4 in front, 3 in back).
Alberta, the sow, weighs about 5 lbs. and enjoys her "little" friends, my other pigs.
Unfortunately Checkers (4 1/2 lbs), the boar, developed problems related to an enlarged heart and died. I watched my vet perform an autopsy, and it was unclear to her whether the thick sac around the heart, or the enlarged heart itself had caused the problem. She said that had we suspected heart problems, he could have been given medication which most likely would have extended his life. I will have any future cuys x-rayed right away.
I'm interested in breeding these gentle animals. As has been said on this site, they are not pets for everyone. But once you have snuggled up with one to watch an old movie on TV, there's no going back!

Any suggestions or leads on responsible breeders?

Much thanks and happy pigging to all!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm

We don't support breeding on this forum.

wenton5

Post   » Thu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Hello all, have come across a picky eater cuy. Trying all organic vegetables, wheatgrass, clean pellets and hay. She has a clean bill of health. She has some teeth issues which is being dilligently being taken care of. Is anyone feeding their cuys anything beyond the normal guinea pig fare? Th p.s. thanks for the help! P.s. tenstontar, thanks for the tips on what you feed your cuys, seriously looking into that. :) L

wenton5

Post   » Thu May 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Lynx, sorry for the lazy grammer use on last post. Lara