Cuy Data

wenton5

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi Sue! (CH), Inglorious, if it was me, I wouldn't take that on, too much room for error and accident with a Cuy. My worry would be them catching it on something. I wonder how much a vet would charge to have it removed. Ideas everyone else?

inglorious

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Cuy Criollo Mejorado I have found out means a cross between the improved guinea pigs that have lower birth rates with semi-wild guinea pigs that have higher birth rates. That would explain their skittishness.

There are 3 specific lineages here in Peru that were produced in a breeding program in the 1970's. The current stock is probably not at all pure as your average guinea pig keeper just keeps them all together and interbreeding is rampant.

Raza Peru - Brown/Red and White, the largest of the lineages which can reach an edible weight by just 9 weeks old (don't shoot the messenger), they are precocious (a direct translation) and have the lowest birth rate (I have heard just 1 or 2 babies per litter).

Raza Andina - Smaller and a variety of colours, they have thicker coats making them more suited to colder climes, they have a higher birth rate.

Raza Inti - Something inbetween, golden yellow coloured, they are adaptable to a variety of climates and have about 3 babies per litter.

inglorious

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Regarding the Polydactyly, I would imagine I have as much experience as a vet does.

Guinea pigs are just allowed to do their thing here (peru) and if they die they die - some vets may have come across it but it's unlikely anyone has ever asked them to treat it. It's sad but true.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 am

I don't know that the cuy in US are Cuy Criollo Mejorado. When I did research on them, it seemed like a good fit with what I was seeing around here. A large percentage of them have been red(brown) and white with a a couple the golden yellow.

I wasn't aware of the 3 lineages in Peru. THe Razu Peru line sounds like what I've seen here. We did have one give birth here - to a huge pup that was 250 grams -over twice the size of our typical pup. I'd have to dig up the weight chart but we were amazed how quickly it grew. I know the cuy were bred for increased meat production and it seems like they succeeded.

I've noticed a lot less cuy in our area recently. Most of the ones I've seen would have been born around 2011 so it makes me thing that Petco's experiment in selling the cuy was discontinued.

Inglorious - If you have some good sources for information about the cuy, I'd love to see them. The cuy fascinate me. We've really enjoyed them.

kjayne

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 am

Can you specifically purchase one from someone, or do you just have to get lucky and come across one at a pet store or rescue?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:28 pm

When we first started seeing a lot of cuy in the shelters here in Northern California a couple years ago, I started going into all the Petcos, PetSmarts etc around here to see who might be selling them. I wanted to let them know what they could expect them to turn out like since they're quite different than the average piggy. I couldn't find any but did hear of a couple stores that had sold them.

Most of the ones we came across came from shelters where they had been surrendered. The shelters couldn't place them because they were so wild - many just launching themselves out of the cages when the door was open. I also so several on craigslist. The only litter of cuy pups I ever saw was the litter we took in - mom was cuy, dad was probably something else because pups didn't have the typical cuy coloring of just red and white.

We're seeing a lot less of them now. I still have two.

bigpiggies

Post   » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm sad to say that both of my Cuys have passed away.

Original Data:
Bubbles
Was left at Petco in Antioch, CA with cage and all supplies, I mentioned that I'd like to rescue a pig and the store said someone had just left one.
Jan 2011
4 lbs 6 oz at last weigh in
No abnormalities
Very sweet, loves her ears rubbed, hates being caught, but enjoys lap time and brushing. She purrs and kisses.
Right eye has been irritated, I've medicated it, but still having problems. She may be allergic to something.

8/2/13 - Updated info: Bubbles passed way, age 2yrs 10mos. Several months ago Bubbles had blood in her urine and was hunching up when she peed. She was obviously in pain. I took her in an put her on antibiotics, she recovered. She weighed 5lb 15oz. Recently she has seemed to slow down and not drinking as much water, last night she seemed lethargic. She passed away this morning. We think that she was about three months old when we got her in Jan 2011, so she was almost 3 years old when she died. She was very large and did not like floor time, so she had limited exercise. We fed her Oxbow Timothy Hay, Oxbow pig food and lots of fresh veggies. She lived in a large 5'x1 1/2 open topped cage. She had fatty eyes.
4lbs 1oz at last wiegh in, I think she's gained weight.
Red and White
No abnormalities
Was grumpy and bossy with Bubbles for a while, but has mellowed. Was easier to catch when I first got her, she learned to run from Bubbles. Loves lap time though and will let me clip her nails.
No health problems so far.

I intentionally searched for a "large" companion for my Bubbles. I found Large Marge on Pet Finder. It took them a while to settle in but they are doing fine. My 10 yr old daughter has no problem handling these pigs, they are beautiful and sweet. I'll post pictures soon. I keep them in an open top CG cage, no problems. They also love my two labs.

UPDATE: Large Marge or "Margie" Passed away apx age 2 yrs old July 2012.
She seemed to be the healthier of the two, grumpy and energetic, in shape unlike overweight Bubbles. I heard a cough or two one day, then the next day we heard her gasping for air, I took her out and held her as she died. It was very quick. She died 11 months after we adopted her. It was sudden, I think her heart just failed. She was full grown when I adopted her, she weighed about 4 1/2 pounds when she passed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

I am so sorry you lost them, bigpiggies.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

In southern California, we have taken in quite a few cuys from shelters in recent months. Typical wild behavior and larger size.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm a little behind in posting the necropsy for Paula Bunyan. We sent her heart in for necropsy because of all the reports we had heard about cuy dying from heart failure. We lost her back in May, 2013. She was about 2 1/2 years old. We took her to the vet when we noticed her having labored breathing. She weighed 2,000 grams. Don't know if this will be helpful or not.

HISTORY
Guinea pig died of acute respiratory distress

SPECIMEN
Heart. Submitted is the entire heart. The heart is slightly globose and has a dilated right ventricle and atrium. Gross appearance consistent with possible right heart failure.

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION
A single, sagittal section of the heart is examined. The left atrium, both ventricles and the roots of the great vessels are captured in the section. There is minimal infiltration of the interauricular septum by lymphocytes and granulocytes and mild interstitial lymphocytic and granulocytic infiltration of the right ventricular myocardium with foci of mild interstitial fibrosis. There is minimal papillary proliferation of visceral pericardial mesothelium. An intraluminal fibrinous clot within the right atrium contains granular material consistent with bacterial colonies as well as additional granulocytes.

DIAGNOSIS
Septic, right ventricular endocarditis with minimal lymphocytic and granulocytic myocarditis; mild mesothelial proliferation.

COMMENT
There is a septic fibrinous clot within the right atrium as well as evidence of low grade myocarditis. The acute respiratory distress may have been secondary to cardiac failure of there may have in fact have been an acute bacterial pneumonia as well.

kelly77

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Hello,

im brand new to this forum but i believe i just got my hands on a cuy, he has normal toes but he is just huge compared to my other pigs. i cant get him on my scale he wont fit. he looks to be an american and abby cross. can this be normal for a cuy?

Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:27 pm

kelly77, the introductory email emphasized how important proper capitalization and punctuation is. If you are going to stick around, please write more clearly so we can understand you better.

And read this:

viewtopic.php?p=826711#826711