Cuy Data

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:30 pm

I dare say you will have her eating out of your hand (and more!) in no time!

Either that or can turn her loose in your home and you have a new mop.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 am

Your piggy looks like an adorable Peruvian. But I don't see any cuy in her.

ChineseLoki

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 am

My cuy is now 4.5lbs and still growing (although rather slowly). She gets regular exercise, but the blubber just piles on...(I think it makes her cuter).

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:36 pm

My large dust mop has put on 13oz in just the few short 3 weeks she has been with me. She gets plenty of hay and greens, hates appless and is indifferent to bell pepper. I no longer need to wear gloves to feed her but for my own protection put them on when I pick her up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:04 pm

13 ounces is a lot to put on in 3 weeks! Hoping she gets friendly!

Margaretcary

Post   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:25 am

I had 2 cuy, given to me by Petsmart. They were there in little aquariums and there was a sign that said "Please take me home." I adopted them both. One weighed 5 pounds the other 4-1/2. The largest one lasted 6 months, but got very large lumps on his side. I took him to the vet and she put in drains and put him on medication. She thought it might be cancer, because no pus was expelled, but lab work came back negative.

I still think he had cancer because the meds did not help and the lumps grew and eventually I had to syringe feed him. He did not make it.

The other male is doing fine. I have had him about a year now. He is over twice the size of my other pigs.

I have found it a challenge to work with the cuy pigs. They are more skittish and don't bond as well with people, but we are working on my last cuy.

I absolutely love to hold a big soft piggy and since I only have one cuy now, I would love to fine another one.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:49 am

If you are in Ohio you are welcome to Blaze. I just found out today that in January pet policy is changing and only one pet per apartment. She is still in the too small cage she was brought to me in because I just don't have room. She loves floor time in the folding playpen but boy does she pee a lot.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:24 am

Sshadowsmom, you might want to contact jacqueline through the mailer. She's looking for cuy. You all would have to work out a piggy train, but she may be interested in doing that.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:11 am

I've never seen a cuy or cuy mix that was peruvian. Is there any way to tell if she's really a cuy mix or just a big peruvian?

I'm coming to learn more about "cuy". It seems that there are several markers, only one of which is weight. Temperment, crazy strength, extra toes are solme of the other markers.

Anyone know of anything else that "makes" a cuy?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:26 pm

The cuy that we've had are typically red and white, cream and white, red, or white. Most have been short, smooth-haired, with a few being crested. We haven't had any long-haired cuy.
Our two most recent cuy, Laverne and Shirley, developed stones at the age of 4.
Billie Jean developed pyometra at the age of 3 and had a successful spay to correct it.
We're getting a young male cuy in soon who will need a home. We're in the San Francisco Bay Area.
PetSmart and Petco seem to be the source of most cuy in our area.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:20 pm

She original came from a local pet shop that has a history of cuy hybrids. And not taking the best care to sex and separate the pigs. When I was looking for a youngster after Punkin died I did not even consider going there. They have also had cuy/abby hybirds in the past. There is just something about seeing a guinea pig that is a full foot in length.

Margaretcary

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

I have been looking, but have been unable to find any to go with my big boy. I don't want to buy one from Petsmart or Petco.