Cuy Data

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:43 pm

You could try contacting area rescues to see if they have or know about any cuy. They may have some in their rescue that they don't list since they are so hard to place. Don't cuy do okay with regular guinea pigs? I'm not sure.

ETA: I just saw a post by CavyHouse on another thread. She stated:

"I've had a lot of luck too placing cuys with non-cuys. It did seem to calm a lot of them."

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I found hay at a local farm and he eats like there's no tommorrow. I looked up places near my parents' home and will buy the next bale from a feed shop. Thank you for the advice.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 pm

I will contact the rescues in my area (there are like two). My mother won't let me do boar dating at the nearest rescue, which is 75 miles away. aI just want him to have a friend. Let me know of any cuys in the area, as I am good with mine. Not too many people understand cuys, so I will take them

TinieWhales

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Nero (Male) 5-6 months old

1\2018

Pet supply plus

2.16 lbs

Reddish-Brown and white
Normal Toes

Jumpy

Nope yet

Emrie

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:41 am

Reading this thread, it seems very likely that my Nippa is part cuy, so I'll add her.

Nippa, female, almost five and a half years old.
Adopted October 31st, 2015, but originally purchased from Petsmart in 2013.
Weighs 3.5 lbs.
Dark eyed tricolor - orange, white, and dark brown.

No abnormalities that I know of.
She is actually very sweet! I've seen her grooming her cagemates before, and she is very cuddly once you pick her up. However, if she's made up her mind that she's not coming out for lap time, it's a real struggle to pry her out.
As far as I know she doesn't have any health problems, although I have noticed her wheezing sometimes when she's picked up. (I always attributed that to her being slightly overweight, but perhaps it's a genetic thing.)

Of course, I don't really know for sure if she's part cuy, but she surely looks the part, and I've never had any of the other pigs jump like she does. I have a small cage that I put them in when I clean the big one, and I've left the lid off before only to turn around and find her halfway across the room.

Kimera

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 pm

I am fostering now two young adult males who are so big, they must be at least part cuy. I don't know much about them, they were found abandoned, like most guinea pigs under the care of our rescue. They are healthy and have no deformities, which is not surprising, since they are European cuys, hybrids bred exclusively as pets. They are likely brothers, because they look very similar and were found together. Each weighs more than 3,5 pounds and is about 17 inches long. They are slim and long and have massive paws. Both are American crested, that is dark haired with white crests on their heads. Their hair is middle lenght, with slight mullets. One is almost entirely very dark brown, close to black, the other has lots of beige smears/stripes/patches. The fur is light near skin, dark at the hair ends, eyes are dark, ears low set and floppy, but not excessively.
They are generally sweet natured and gentle, just as any other guinea pig, but they are much more skittish and very, very hard to catch. They are not particularly jumpy, but big, strong and once they learned to escape their C&C by pushing the grids, they are practically imposible to keep inside the cage.
My friend is fostering now young regular cavies and calls them hamsters, and mine are playfully called ponies :).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Cool. Do you have any pictures?

Kimera

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 9:34 pm

That's one big pig! :) Handsome, too!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 am

Very handsome indeed!

Kimera

Post   » Fri May 24, 2019 4:32 am

Yes, they are TWO big pigs. I'm not sure I want to adopt them out :).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 am

Double the fun! LOL. I'd be a little tempted to keep them, too, but I'd have no idea how to manage piggies that large and strong. What kind of housing will they need, do you suppose?