Cuy Data

newcavylover414

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I am not sure if my Cavy is a "CUY" Can someone help me understand how to tell? :)

lisam

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I was reading back through this thread and saw that I had heard of cuy being here in 2011.

Since we've taken in "Buddha", I've heard of two others this week. One was taken in by a local rabbit rescue--I saw him and he's even more wild than our girl. Someone else asked to surrender another one (this one, by her account, is very friendly, and I would consider taking him in).

Mary from Cavy Companions (she takes in un-adoptables) is going to take our cuy. She's had some experience with them.

So this is Buddha. She weighs 3 lbs 5 ounces, so I think maybe she's part cuy and part regular pig.

rmeniteowl

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:11 am

I was just asked by our local shelter to foster a guinea pig. I strongly suspect he is a cuy. At the shelter they went to clean his cage and he panicked and leapt out of the cage, off the table and across the room. They finally managed to catch him; however, the workers were scared of him. After much thought, I agreed to foster him. I do suspect he will be added to our herd. I hope he will get along with the other 3 boys.

Name: Goliath (shelter name) has since been changed to Magnum P.I.G.
Date obtained: May 27, 2014
Found or purchased where: Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter, Billings MT
Color: Red and white
Abnormalities: none visible
Temperment: Wild, skittish, hard to catch, he settles down once he is caught and is usually calm once he is held; but still startles easily and doesn't seem to truly relax. Oh, and he can leap tall grids with a single bound. :)
Health problems: none apparent, I will take him to the vet towards the end of quarantine

His age is listed as 9 months and he weighs 1305 grams.

His feet are large especially his back feet. I could only get a picture of the front paw.

He does have a sweet face.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am

He does indeed. Would you like me to add your pics to this thread?

rmeniteowl

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Sure--thanks Lynx, that would be great.

tpshadow

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi I have a cuy.She not a year old and weighs 5 lbs now.She is a red color with no extra toes.She's very skittish and hard to catch. She is a very dominating pig in the house.I have another girl not a cuy and Poppy the cuy is always the mean one. I hope there are more I do about cuy.
I got her in February 2014 at petsmart. I would visit the store with my dogs and saw her.wow she was big.so about a month I kept checking on her to make sure you got to a home.so one month past by and no such luck so I bought her not knowing she was a cuy.She lots to hide in tunnels and not very vocal.
Female not a year yet.
Cuy

tpshadow

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Name Poppy
Date obtained February 2014
Found or purchased where? (please be specific) Petsmart Milpitas, CA
Weight 5 lbs
Color Brown or red
Abnormalities (ie. extra toes) None that I can tell
Temperament Very skittish, agressive toward other guinea pigs
Health problems None so far she does have a different type of smell or scent than any other guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 pm

I wonder if the scent has anything to do with her health. And 5 pounds is way up there!

Let me know if you'd like your photo added permanently to this thread.

tpshadow

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am

That would be awsome Lxnx.

tpshadow

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:15 am

My boyfriend says she has a scent none like my two guinea pigs that I had.Sydney is housed with her and Poppy the cuy is very assertive and constantly shows Sydney who's the dominating one.So they are still in the same house but had to dive them.They can see and smell each other.When it comes to play time I put them together as I watch and interact with them.Poppy has started all over the dominance thing and Sydney is super scared.
I have her since February got her form petsmart. I went to see her every week and I was hoping someone would get her.So a whole month has past and she was still there so I got her.
I didn't know she was a cuy.I just thought she was a very large guinea pig.
She is very skittish and when you can catch her she does stay with you.

smoknbunny

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi there! New member here. Longtime browser of the site. Just signed up to give you some Cuy data.
I have an informal guinea pig "rescue" and was just given a very large guinea pig who was going to be euthanized at the shelter because he's "skittish". Luckily someone there got my name from someone who knows me so she called.
Name: Chester 1.5years old
Date obtained: July 7, 2014
Where: Humane society
Weight: 3# 14oz
Color: orange and white
Abnormalities: none
Temperament: must trap in pigloo to pick up, tries to jump out of arms if held, hides all day and rotates or moves pigloo toward desired consumable
Health problems: none so far but soft stool possibly from stress[/img]

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm

i've heard of a couple other cuy showing up in Oregon. So along with lots of Cuy in California, it sounds like Washington and Oregon are now too getting cuy. I'd be curious to know if they originated from Petco or Petsmart, which is where almost all of the San Francisco bay area cuy come from.

I got an email recently from someone in Portland, Oregon who has a male cuy and wanted to adopt a female cuy from me so the 4H kids could experience cuy pups. She wanted them to be able to recognize cuys when they were pups.