Hello! New Guinea Pig owner!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Do you know what a popcorn looks like?

rosiea

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I just watched some videos of guinea pigs on youtube, and that's what he was doing. =D He seems very happy and comfortable now!

Hunybee

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 am

OHHH, you are so hooked now! :) He's pretty darn cute that's for sure, but then again, after all the thousands of gps on here, I haven't seen an ugly one yet.

A good portion of us on here started out with pet store pigs, which led us to here.

Be sure to check out the diet and nutrition pages. There are a couple of acceptable vegetable and fruit lists that you can print and take with you to the store. Its really fun to buy something new for them to try. Some things they will eat, and some they will not even touch. My female doesn't turn anything down, but my male loves herbs like mint and cilantro and dill.

As a daily treat, you can also give him clippings of clean fresh grass and dandelions.

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am

Fast Feet seems to like the parsley I got out of my garden, though he only ate the stalk, not the leaves. =) I'm going to try some more veggies today, because yesterday he wouldn't even touch the parsley, and now he's eating it. I'm also getting him a bigger habitat, the one he has was the "starter kit", and it's clearly not big enough, since all the toys I bought won't even fit in it!
I'm thinking about moving his vet appt. up to today, and get him neutered. I want to get him a companion, and there's a guy on craigslist that has a female that needs a home. I don't really want to deal with the male vs. male stuff that animals do, so I think it would work out well!

Hunybee

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 am

Check out local rescues first. More often than not, they will have spayed females up for adoption, and they will be healthier than just adopting from someone off CL.

I adopted a spayed female from a legitimate guinea pig rescue, to pair up with my lone male. Things are working great for them, and we don't have to worry about pregnancy.

But not everyone has problems with male/male pairings. The worst I had with my two males was humping. They never fought.

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 8:49 am

The only local cavy rescue closed recently due to illness. =( I can't find *any* other animal rescues that have gp's, except for the humane society, and they have a pretty bad reputation here. I may look there, anyway, we'll see how it turns out!

worldangel

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 am

Neutering is a major operation so do take note that there might be (just might) possible complications after it.

He is very cute! :)

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 am

Just a fyi. Make sure your vet can do guinea pig neuters. I don't know if the vet I took Rudy to did them much, they did my rat neuter but Rudy almost died when they put him under. So then I got my other boys to keep him company.

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Mr. Fast Feet has a friend! We haven't decided on a name yet..she's so pretty!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... fe10625cf4

She is *very* social and vocal! Sadly, for the past year, her diet has consisted of strictly pellets with an occasional iceberg leaf. =( Her teeth and claws are in terrible condition. I've already trimmed her nails, and will talk to the vet about her teeth, though I think the hay and chews will help her more than anything. As soon as I put her cage on the table with Mr. Fast Feet, he came right out of his cubby to check her out, and they've been "talking" nonstop!

Mom2boars

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 2:51 pm

She is beautiful, but as stated above, I've never seen a non-adorable piggie before either! Hehe!

make sure they aren't together before he gets neutered-I'm sure you know that!! If her teeth are pretty over-grown, the vet will more than likely trim them, then the other things will keep them trimmed down. I'm sure the vet will check the molars as well, just make sure. A friend of mine's piggie had over-grown molars and that cause a LOT of problems for him. :(

Again, both you babies are gorgeous!!

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Oh, yeah! They're definitely staying in separate cages until he's neutered! Not sure I'm ready to handle babies yet. Hehe. I'm *so* excited about building the perfect habitat for them! She's never had toys before, and she's going nuts with the ones I put in there for her! Pretty soon, they'll have enough room to run and play, and have LOTS of toys!

(Is it very obvious that I'm on "light activity" and have been *extremely* bored until I got my piggies? teehee!)

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Iceberg lettuce is not a good thing to feed. Red, green or romaine leaf lettuce are good.

Next time you need to quarantine https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Introduction
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=37

Why not to breed:
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm