Is this normal?

Bethy

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I must have new piggie mom syndrome or something becuase everything worries me. But tonight my family was over visiting and I was downstairs all day. I came upstairs to my room that is where I have my girls cage and Beatrice is chasing Misha around the cage trying to mount her. I checked both this site and Guinea Pig Cages and I'm 97% positive they are girls. Is this is a dominace thing? I've had them both for a few weeks now. Is this normal. Again I am sorry if this is a dumb question.

frillint

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm

No question is a dumb question. My girls still do this so yes I would say that it is dominance.

Bethy

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Ok good thank you so much. It seems like every little thing worries me when it comes to my girls. Also I noticed to Beatrice is making a noise it's like a low purr she has never done this before.

frillint

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I am like that to just a huge worry wart. I am not sure about the sound you are talking about but my boy makes a low rumble sound when he is *excited* One of my females makes this sound to sometimes I think she is trying to be dominant to.

worldangel

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Haha Ginger did this as well during the first month in my place. I was worried sick because it lasted for more than a week!

I guess she was just trying to establish that she is the queen of the place. Now that the status has been established, she doesn't do it anymore.

Hunybee

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 pm

The low purring accompanied by a butt swagger is more of a 'don't mess with me dance.

What you saw is normal. Females will also pee in each others faces during dominance issues as well.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 pm

She may be in heat.

frillint

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 10:58 pm

The first time I saw one of my females pee on the other one I just couldn't believe it I thought it was so funny.

Guineadaddy

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 11:26 pm

The girls here go through the same thing during their "time" then the boars know too and their cages get a bit riled too. Then everyone calme back down till the next one.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Mocha would do this to Cinnabun (her cagemate) every time she'd go into heat and sometimes just to establish dominance. As long as there are no signs of ovarian cysts or serious hormonal problems (hair loss particularly at the sides, crusty nipples, pretty constant mounting long after a hierarchy is established), it sounds pretty normal.

LisasHerd

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Where are you in PA Bethy?

spedder

Post   » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 am

I'm a newbie too, and I freak out to an embarrassing extent on a daily basis, so not to worry! My girls do not do this, but they were both pregnant when they were rescued, and one still is. So they're a little too fat to hoist themselves around :) But what I can say is that I was very worried that I might have mis-sexed them too, but once Jersey's litter came along, I was able to look and successfully sex them within an hour of their birth. They are now 4 weeks along, and the difference is very, very obvious (and getting a penis, if there is one, to extrude is very easy). So if they're looking like girls, I'd say they're girls!