Lemon Leaves

avarocks

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 pm

I have searched the forums (and google for that matter) on whether or not guinea pigs can have lemon leaves. I am not personally looking to give any of my pigs lemon leaves - a friend who also has pigs was wondering. I can't find any information anywhere. Does anyone know?

Sarah

rosiea

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 10:56 pm

I wouldn't do it. They have a lot of oils in them, and I know that most animals don't eat them. But then, I'm new to guinea pigs, so take it for what it's worth.

avarocks

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 pm

New to guinea pigs or not, any feedback is welcome :) I'm not new to guinea pigs, but there is always something to learn. Thank you very much for your input :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 pm

If your piggys will eat the leaves there's no harm. I'll bet they don't like them though.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 am

Wow, I thought they were toxic. Do you have other info, Bugs Mom?

avarocks

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 am

I'm not planning to give them to my pigs - a friend who has pigs was asking me if they could have them. But, I did not know the answer to that and could not find it any place. Searched the forums here too, and nope. She has a student from China living with her who asked if they could have it, and then she asked me...so now I'm asking everybody else! I've never even heard of lemon leaves. I know I don't give my guys lemons because of the sour.

Sarah

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 am

I've eaten them, shredded, in fruit salad with no ill effects. It's much like using lime leaves. Of course I didn't use them when they were old and tough.

My little one didn't like them at all no matter what their age!