Litter?

Brady

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 am

So I will be completely redesigning my cage in a couple weeks when I move into a bigger bedroom and I wanted to ask a quick question...

I saw pictures of WEAVER's cage in the thread and I LOVED the idea of the 2x2 coroplast and litter box. What is that stuff though? Feline pine? What is okay to use and how hard is it to clean? Are there other similar products out there?

Just seems so much more clean than what I'm using now.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/ ... 293e4a.jpg

(thanks weaver girls and slavetofuzzy for the photo :D )

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:52 am

Woodstove pellets! They are cheap ( $6 for a 40 lb bag). They do not smell (I once left 3 pigs in a 2x4 for 2 weeks with no smell).

You can buy feline pine, but it is double the price. Go to a home improvement store and ask for the woodstove pellets.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Yup thats woodstove pellets. I use them myself for all my pigs and as a littler for my ferrets. Its amazing stuff. Here in Canada I buy it from Rona. Most home improvement stores have them.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Does anyone know if they make wood stove pellets from aspen at all? All the ones I've been finding are made from kiln dried pine or unlisted softwoods (that's all it will say on some packages, "made from softwoods").

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 pm

They ones I get are pine, I let them air out 24 hours before using them just in case.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Oops, I just put pine pellets in my kitchen box... I didn't air them out, I'll be sure to do it next time, will it be OK this once?

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:31 pm

They are kiln dried, so they are safe. You don't need to air them out, unless you want the woody smell to dissipate.

The only thing to look for is that they have NO additives. They should just be pure wood.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 pm

I LOVE wood stove pellets in the hay bins. When they get damp/wet, they break down into a soft consistency, but it stays put and doesn't fly around. More like becomes compacted. No odor, super absorbancy and inexpensive. The only minus is that they are a bit heavy (come in a 40 lb bag).

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:21 pm

You can always call or email the company to find out what's in the pellets. The name will be on the bag.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Ok, phew! Yea, 100% pine, so far I looove them! They seem much cleaner than the yesterday's news I had before. I'm very pleased with them. I'm glad I decided to try them!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 pm

That's true, Lisa, I'll have to do that when I'm ready to try out kitchen areas. I get leery when they don't list what woods are actually in the bags, which I see a lot of around here.