Rent-a-Guinea Service in Switzerland

newwave_polly

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:01 pm

If I could rent a pig right now, I might. I know Rocket would like a companion, but I think he's probably the last pig I'll have for awhile. I know I'd get attached though, and the rental pig wouldn't go back. ;)

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm

You could foster and keep them in separate cages but next to one another once quarantine is over.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:57 am

I love the law that you can't keep them single, for the most part. Although there is the extremely rare case where one doesn't even like having a divided cage with another cavy, doesn't like them in "their space". We have one elderly sow who is like this, but adores people. Probably due to never having lived with another cavy for three and a half years at her old home (she is alright with, but doesn't seemed overly thrilled, about sharing floor time with the other female cavies, but not even a divided cage).

Don't they also have fish bowls and other tiny "tanks" outlawed as well? Or am I thinking of somewhere else? Either way, I wish we could have those laws here in the States.

That's sad that they're being bred for this "service though". Too bad they can't just do a foster service, like what Lisa mentioned.

Lisa, that's strange no one has taken you up on that offer. But maybe they are at the "breaking point" where they are afraid of getting attached to the foster as well?

Zoe

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I did my good deed the other day. I was trying to get down to zero piggies for a bit so I could save some money, travel and find a new place to rent. Alfie is 8-1/2 and he just keeps going... So I adopted a 7 year old guinea pig from the shelter on Saturday. She has a bad bumble foot. We'll see how it goes. I know that they will both be happier. My arthritic boy moves around so much more when he has company. And it's good for his bumble foot issues. Being so old, he tends to sit around a lot and he gets that tender skin on his feet.

I wish more people would look into adopting the old ones.

Zoe

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 pm

I also wish that this service was run without breeding them. If only all the single older pets could meet. Kind of an elderly dating thing. Should be a match.com thing for the old, lonely pets looking for companionship.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

That's great, Zoe. I usually tend to go for the old, special needs, and generally less adoptable ones, but now I'm at my limit. Most likely my next ones will be elderly, either adoptions or a foster or two from Lisa (I promised I would foster for her when our numbers are down, and I know she gets her fair share of the older and elderly ones).

I'm assuming your boy is neutered (since spayed females are really hard to come by).

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:26 pm

We have a sanctuary piggy (older girl with arthritis) who is being fostered right now with a former adopter. She adopted two from us a while back and when one passed on, she wasn't sure she wanted to get another one. She gives them a great home and we get to see both for pig-sitting a few times a year.

The owners love our sanctuary piggy so it's working out great.

For the right situation, it can be beneficial.

Zoe

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 am

Unfortunately neither Alfie or his new friend Jelly Bean are fixed. They will have to share a huge cage with a grid between them. And now I'm completely in love with Jelly Bean so it looks like we are a family. Even though they are rather elderly, it would be a horrible tragedy if Jelly Bean got pregnant. No way would I risk it.

Hope I can help Cavy House sometime in the future if you guys need temporary care for a special needs piggy.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Oh I see, I didn't realize they were going into a divided cage. Even though the chances aren't as high, elderly animals (especially smaller "exotics") can risk getting pregnant, so that's a good idea.

Carrie86

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:50 am

I think I'd be interested in this. I have 6 guineas, so obviously not right now, but I don't know if we'll keep going, and I worry about when there is only one left. I'd love to be able to borrow a buddy (and would be willing to pay a fee for the service) until my final piggy passes on.
Whether or not we'd be able to give it back is anyone's guess, but it'd be a great option. Perhaps I'll even approach a rescue about this when the time comes.
I don't support the breeding angle, but I would encourage rescues to offer this as an option.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 pm

I have kept every pig I ever fostered except for 3 of 4 babies born to my pregnant "foster" pig Maggie. Maggie, Dahlia, Mamba and Serena were all "fosters". I kept the one who was born with a bladder problem. It broke my heart not to be able to follow the other babies I'd only had 3 weeks, but there's a limit to how many pigs a person can properly take care of.

It really was sad to see my very personable old man Alfie, living with no buddy. Now that Jelly Bean is here (soon out of quarantine), he'll by moving his arthritic body around and getting the circulation moving in his bedsore prone foot pads. I'm pig sitting a friend's pig now and Alfie is a new man.

I still say there should be a way to find elderly friends for lonely elderly pigs.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 pm

Perhaps that's something I should look into more for my rescue?

The main problem with it would be that we fall in love with the old guys. There's no way we would have given Big Boy, Rosie, Joe, and now Nermo up. You'd have to pry Nermo out of my son's hands.

Aside from possibly some weight loss and possibly thickening of the nails or flatter feet, what other signs make you think a piggy may be a senior? I feel like I can reasonably figure out the age of a piggy when they are under a year, or a year (maybe 2) old or very senior, but it's hard for me to guesstimate whether they are 3, 4 or early seniors.