Eating Yesterday´s News!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:24 pm

Laura, the silks are really fairly fragile. I´ve chewed on some myself and they are kind of sweet. The pigs seem to handle them quite well. They eat hay and fresh grass all the time which in some cases might still have some continuity as it´s going down.

One trick that constantly amazes me is how a pig can be eating a couple strands of grass at one time and without missing a beat, clip off the brown end of one and continue eating the green part of the other. It really is a treat to watch. The grass in the winter frequently has brown tips they don´t like.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:34 am

Okay another thread that is cracking me up. 36lbs of chocolate... you might call it a bin... making others jealous (you did) ROFLMBOAPMP!!!! HAHAHAHA

Okay but now I´m kinda depressed. I have several types of bedding coming in a large order from a site online and one of those was the yesterday´s news bedding. My luck Isabelle will continue shunning veggies and start eating her bedding when I try that! *sigh* Another $20 some odd dollars blown probably. *sigh again*

I´m kinda confused on the different advice I´ve been given on the corn also. You see corn here is 8 ears for $1 right now and I tried giving Isabelle some but I was told on other sites to remove ALL the silks... she wouldn´t touch the corn with a ten foot pole. darnit... I threw the silks away- she probably would have liked them! But other sites have said that it causes problems for guinea pigs. Now I´m confused. Did I say that already?

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:04 am

The other sites are full of excrement. Corn silks are fine and the best part of the corn cob. If anything should be in moderation it´s the corn kernels because they are high in carbohydrates(I think that´s the thing with them). Husks and silks are great for pigs as long as there is no mould on them.

Gurney recommends corn silk for sick pigs. I´d be willing to bet these sites are the same sites that say green beans are toxic - a stupid untrue rumour started by an ill-researched food list.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:39 am

OMG... the rumors are killing me. Don´t they know if they don´t get their recommendations together that they can confuse poor little newbie guinea pig slaves? Do guinea pigs eat hair? I might be pulling some out soon to offer her if so. LOL

Okay great... maybe Isabelle was wondering why on earth I gave her the icky part (the corn cob cut in 2-3 pieces as I was told to do) and kept the corn silks and husks for myself (the trash)??? She thinking she got a mean slave. rut-roh... can´t have that!