Lilies?

Post Reply
User avatar
Alfie

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:01 pm


I had the pigs out for a run the other night and they all of a sudden started chewing furiously on the peace lily I have sitting in the corner. They´ve never shown any interest before, which is why I left it within their access.

Is it poisonous? It´s not listed as a dangerous plant on the CG shopping list and I can´t find any mention of it in the archives. Obviously I´m not going to feed it to them, and I snatched it away when I caught them nibbling, but I´ve always assumed they´re smart enough not to eat much of anything that´s bad for them. I just want to make sure what they ate won´t harm them.

I´m also quite put out that I´d prepared a veritable feast and they turned it down to eat the houseplants!

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:12 pm


I have no idea what you call a peace lily, but lilies are usually grown from bulbs and these are bad news for pigs. It doesn´t sound like they ate a lot of it, so it will probably be ok, but keep an eye on them.

User avatar
Alfie

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:16 pm


It´s also known as spathiphyllum, if that means anything to you. I was worried about the bulb thing too.

User avatar
bats

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:33 pm


Alfie said "I´ve always assumed they´re smart enough not to eat much of anything that´s bad for them."

um, I´ve always assumed the opposite: guinea pigs are dumb enough to eat too much of things that are bad for them. They are like Irish Setters -- absolutely adorable but quite able to wolf down things that will make them sick. Plastic bags, poisonous plants, terry cloth, cardboard with glue backing, ... ).

That being said, I have no idea whether peace lilies are harmful or not. But chances are you´re ok if they´re still happily romping around.

User avatar
Alfie

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:40 pm


Hmmm. I just found a site that indicated they can be toxic to humans (they contain calcium oxylate, which apparently causes irritation of the mucous membranes and produces swelling of the tongue, lips and palate), so that doesn´t bode well for pigs. Looks like I´m getting a stand for the pot.

Yes, I suppose you´re right, Bats, about the plastic bags, etc. But in terms of organic products I always thought they sort of "knew" not to eat stuff like, say, rhubarb leaves. Maybe I´ve overestimated their natural intelligence/instinct.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:12 pm


By the way, lilies and daylilies are different. If you ever get a daylily, all the parts are quite safe to eat. You can eat the young leaves, roots, flowers and flower buds. I´ve even snacked on the flowers myself. The pigs don´t care for them though.

User avatar
KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:40 pm


OK, Lynx! Now I have this image of you wandering around your yard eating flowers! Well, at least I hope you didn´t eat them directly off the plant! Quite a mental image don´t you think!?

Kara

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:28 am


Oh, but I did! Well, almost. I have tons of daylilies (I think this is called "The Day Lily Phase") and hey, there has to be something better to do with them than just admire them! (here´s a sample to look at for a short while)

User avatar
lisam

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:08 am


Lynx, I am a daylily lover. They are so easy to care for! And you can divide them every year practically, and have more of them. I plant them around my spring bulbs, so the upcoming foliage of the daylily covers the dying foliage of the bulbs. Last year was the first time I actually ate one of the buds--the hose had knocked one off and I just popped it into my mouth. It was so good, a real mild sweet flavor, and very delicate.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:34 pm


Daylilies (and many other flowers) are popular around here. There´s a fellow down the road that sells them reasonably and a hybredizer (Andre Viette) in the valley. Some of mine I got from an old guy who has been hybredizing them for years, but he just mixes things and plunks them in a field (he´s well-known and has been written up in the papers). So when you buy a daylily from him, it is technically a one of a kind flower (the flower above is one of those -- it is lush, sparkles in the sunlight but can melt at the end of a hot day -- I still love it and it´s maybe my favorite flower). I even hybredized a few of my own (no names of course -- you just do it for fun). Much less work than breeding guinea pigs for fun (which I would never recommend).

User avatar
KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:37 pm


OK... I have day lillies out front. I think I will go graze on a few! What the heck, the neighbors already think I´m nuts!

User avatar
Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:46 pm


You guys do realize that peace lilies and day lillies are different, right? I´m not even sure peace lillies have anything to do with the lilly family.

Lynx, your day lillie is beautiful! My mom used to grow tons all over the place. Brings back great memories.

User avatar
lisam

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:54 pm


I checked several sites, and could not find Peace Lily on any poisonous list. How is your pig doing today, Alfie?

User avatar
Alfie

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:17 am


They´re all fine - voracious as ever. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Last edited by Alfie on Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply
14 posts • Page 1 of 1