Sooty and Smudge fly to Seattle

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Thank you for the offer, Cannabuns mom! I still don't have a concrete plan on what I'm going to do about a cage and food, but 2.5 hours away is a bit far for my conscience :)

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Ooh! My brother lives there. I was just there last year. It is lovely! There is a rescue there that really needs volunteers, too. Rabbit Meadows. They also rescue guinea pigs. They are building a shelter and need help.

Congrats on moving to the USA!

ilumiari

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 am

I saw that Rabbit Meadows are building a new shelter in Redmond! I'm planning to help out as much as I can, but I'm not sure how much help I can be without a car, it's a bit far from any public transport.

I had a chat on the phone with the representative from the transport agency, and I'm happy that she'll try to do everything she can to make it a good journey. My flight leaves at 5.45am on the 5th, so the pigs will be picked up the night before. They may spend a night in Los Angeles to recover from the 14 hour Sydney->LA stretch. It's so nice that I don't need to worry about the cost involved.

I explained that it was very important that their carrier is loaded up with food (especially) before the long flight, and she said she'd even look into procuring some fresh veggies for them in both Sydney and LA.

Their Australian partner company, JetPets, will be handling the Perth->Sydney flight and putting them on the international flight in Sydney.

When they arrive in Seattle they'll be delivered to my temporary housing, so it's all very convenient. Their flights haven't been booked yet, but hopefully I can give more details soon.

I think I'll order a cage from http://www.guineapigzone.com - it's not perfect, but it will be ok until I get a chance to buy more grids. I'll sacrifice some premium suitcase real estate for a towel and a fleece, and I'll also order some PiggyBedSpreads as soon as I find out my temporary address. My poor bank account! It's down to the three figure mark, my last week in Perth is turning out to be depressingly frugal.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 am

You can get a cheap towel and a cheap fleece blanket at any Family Dollar or other discount store, if you think you'll have a few minutes.

ilumiari

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:59 am

You're right about the towels, although I think they'll be happier with their own fleece (I also wouldn't have time to give new fleece a few washes before use). I'll try to look up discount stores near where I'm staying before I go so that I can just nip out.

According to the Oxbow website the closest stockist is http://www.dennyspet.com a few miles away - but according to their website they sell animals. Am I better off ordering food online and dealing with the fact that it may not arrive in time (especially since the next day is a public holiday (I think?)) or should I sigh and just give them money this once?

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am

If you make it to Rabbit Meadows, they sell Oxbow at a good rate. They also have a retail store in Seattle. They may have volunteers who will pick you up and take you there to help out and buy supplies, too.

http://www.rabbitmeadows.org/shelter/ Sign up for their newsletter!

lisam

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Ug. Don't shop at Denny's Pet World.

Are there any Mud Bay's around where you will be living? If they are not already selling Oxbow, they usually will if you ask the manager.
http://www.mudbay.us/store_locations.htm

My rescue is near Seattle, in Auburn. Let me know if I can help you out.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Well, duh. I didn't realize where you were located, Lisam. Sorry for not mentioning you!

Feylin

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Call and check those fees yourself, please.

Make sure that they're charing you only what is necessary. NOTHING about relocating pets is free. You are paying for that overnight stay some where in your fees to the company.

Find out where they are staying overnight in the LA airport. Don't accept anything other than a climate controlled designated pet are.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 am

My profile says Seattle area, but we actually live ten minutes outside downtown Redmond. There's a MudBay in Redmond where we buy our Carefresh bedding.

http://www.mudbay.us/Store_Locations/Redmond.htm

Like lisam mentioned, they also carry Oxbow hay and pellets. We buy our hay and pellets from kleenmama, though. Shipping is really fast since she's located in Washington, too.

Our vet is Dr. Elizabeth Kamaka in Mountlake Terrace. It's a bit of a drive at about 40 minutes, but it's worth it; we highly recommend her.

http://www.kamakaexoticvet.com/

Of course we also recommend lisam's rescue!

Please feel free to send me or Mr. Capybara a message through the Guinea Lynx mailer if you need any help with anything else when you get here. Good luck with the big move!

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:41 am

I sent you a message, Capybara :)

Sooty and Smudge went for their pre-flight health check up today. The vet said they were both very healthy, with lovely teeth and coats.

I'll check out MudBay as soon as I arrive, that looks like a good place for me to stock up when I get there, thanks for the info! I will be switching them over to Kleenmama after they get settled down, but think its probably best to give them what they are used to in the short term.

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm

We have a pig flight itinerary! Times are all local on April 5 (Thursday)

Qantas flight #648
Departs Perth at 12:25 am
Arrives Melbourne at 6:05 am

Qantas flight #93
Departs Melbourne at 9:35 am
Arrives Los Angeles at 6:55 am

Alaska Airlines flight # 457
Departs Los Angeles at 5:20 pm
Arrives Seattle at 7:57 pm