Moving to Germany

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Thank you slavetofuzzy. I have spoken to United directly and they told me that they don't need a special crate or anything else special (as in we don't have to build a weird wood crate or put wire mesh in the holes of the crate) . We bought these bags that hang on to the side of the crate to hold food and hay. We got the live animal stickers to label the crate with. They got a special water bottle that will hook onto the crate from the outside. I followed all the regs. They just don't have any special crate requirements.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Sept is the PERFECT time to fly. Not too hot, not too cold. You don't have to alter the cage for temp. I do remember that pigs don't need the wire mesh (don't ask me why. The carrier mods weren't rational).

However, I would totally call the shipping folks and ask THEM how the carrier should be. Whoever you're going to hand the carrier off to before you get on the plane. Whatever they say will go. You don't want to find out that the lady behind the desk thinks you need burlap on the air vents or whatever. That happened to me!

Write emergency contact info for someone in the US AND someone in Germany. I put it in sharpie on the carrier. You need this so someone can make decisions for the pigs if planes are delayed or whatever. If you don know anyone ingermany yet, you can use me.

I don't know how old your pigs are or if they are heart pigs. The ride is going to be long and very scary. My pigs are seniors and the stress was not worth it for them- they live with another member here now and didn't make the trip.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 pm

I got all the bases cover except a contact in Germany. I am probably going to call 500 times to confirm shipping requirements (which ever i the most popular instruction I am going with! haha) I got this cool water bottle and a cool bin feeder/hay rack in one that is huge!!! I am going to put a big lap pad type thing in the bottom and a couple cozy sack type things too.
I am not 100% on the ages as they are rescues but they are all under a year for sure (the vets guess my oldest pig is about 9/10 months, my middle pig is around 7 months, and my youngest ist around 5 months) but except for my oldest pig they are all super healthy. My oldest is prone to ear infections. He has had 2 so far.

Blue Chaos

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am

Make sure oldest pig is free from an ear infection before his flight. Flying with an ear infection is miserable.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24 am

I know flying sick is never fun. He is getting better and we have around a month until we fly. I really hope he is over the ear infection by then!!!!

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Sounds like your pigs will be perfectly fine!

You might want to NOT include the sacks in there. Pigs will jam themselves in those beds and overheat. If they want to hide, they can dig under the fleece.

Also, I found that it was best to not put anything in the carrier I couldn't lose or throw out. The Lufthansa people threw out the towel in Lois' carrier because it had poop and banana smeared all over it in a complete mess. They washed her and put a new towel in for me, but my towel was gone. I'd hate for you to lose nice pig beds.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Good point! I will just use some old fleece then. I hope my piggies will do well.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Just an update- Piggiesnpuppies and I are all set to pick up her pigs in Frankfurt on Oct 1st! :)

I'll write down the gates and buildings we have to go to and post it here for future reference.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

How very cool!

I think it is very neat you can (and are willing to) help her, Feylin!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Horray! Feylin-you rock!!

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:18 pm

I was SUPER SUPER SUPER (did I mention super) thankful for everything. It was so helpful. It is going to be less than $700 to ship all three from Baltimore to Houston, stay overnight in Houston, fly out in the afternoon in Houston and land in Frankfurt!!! I thank everyone for their help. Any tips on easy road transport would be welcome (we have a 3 day drive to Baltimore)!

Kelsie

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Baba, thank you for bringing me back to some happy memories. I lived in Darmstadt while my husband was stationed there. I absolutely loved it. It's been a few years since I've thought about those days and seeing Darmstadt mentioned again just filled me with joy remembering the town and all the wonderful people that I knew there.