First Time Clipping Woes

Quiet Wren

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 pm

I think I would clip first, treat after. I'm afraid if you try to clip while he eats, he may bite you for disrupting his treat! However you work it out, I wish you luck!

And "problem pig" is definitely kind and generous of you. :)

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue May 21, 2013 3:45 am

Kylo, do you have any kind of *hard* treats for Harvey to work on while you go after his nails? I realized in reading your response that I keep my little boy occupied with these:

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/produc ... bject=1571

They take awhile to eat, and I use them sparingly enough that he is not about to let the opportunity pass by, especially when I give him the entire cookie, even though I am messing with his paws at the same time.

Just an idea. My little boy inhales his veggies at the speed of light, and gets calcium deposits with parsley, too, so I don't dare risk it.

ErinP

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 pm

oh my, we just trimmed our boys nails for the first time!! And it worked out so well and so easy!! Bullwinkle scratched my chest really (read REALLY) bad on Monday. It appears to be infected, which is not cool, but I digress. So, we were talking about their nails since then. Well, tonight we were talking about their nails after my fiance saw how long they really were and he asked me how hard I thought it would be to cut them. So, I picked up Bullwinkle and he went and got the clippers when he realized he was being so calm. Success!!! Peanut squirmed insanely and started acting like he'd bite, so we only got his back nails trimmed, but his front nails are fairly short. Yay! I was going to take them to the vet, but I'm so super happy we were able to get it done ourselves and know we can do it in the future too. Oh, but Bullwinkle pouted some kind of serious pouts! I have never seen a pig pout but he did! Until I gave him some flat leaf parsley. Then he warmed back up. For a while. I'm sure he'll sleep off the rest of his pouting, but that was rather cute!!! I'm happy and hope we can keep further scratching to an acute minimum.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm

I used what I learned here to help my trim my chickens' toenails! Two of four don't wear them down enough.

ErinP

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 am

Interesting, Lynx! This site is so helpful and the people are great!

Quiet Wren

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 pm

That's funny Lynx! It never occurred to me that you would have to clip chicken toe nails!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 am

Me either! But it is evident to me that a couple chickens are slackers in the scratching for worms department.