Boys vs girls

Melody R

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm

I have always had boars (like 14 at a time -- I take in rescues but they never leave) and eventually found myself with my old men passing on after wonderful healthy lives, leaving only three 7-yr old boys left. As I knew more piggies would be in my future, I posed the question on here - boys vs. girls? Thank you for all your responses!

Well, here I am a few months later ( so MANY pigs need homes!) with another boatload of adoptees ( I seem to work in clusters). I still have my 3 old men (still alive and kicking and chubby), FIVE new boars, and 5 new ladies (I am a first time sow-mommy). Don't worry - the girls are kept in a separate room and the boys don't know they are here and never will. Shhhhhh! No co-mingling!!!!

I have observed -- I love them BOTH but their personalities are definitely different. I have never intro'd pigs that did not end up the best of friends BUT--

The boars seem to feel the onset of PUBERTY far more than the girls. While they all get along just fine (I have the first 4 together), there are frequent rumble-struttings, noses-in-the-air (absolutely no fighting tho'), then they just play and eat together. But each new addition to the group has caused a re-shuffling of the pecking order. They act like typical human teenage boys (well, in a GP way) trying to prove they are top dog (GP). The girls just eat their hay, share their sleeping bags and I have seen NOTHING unhappy ever among them!

I just brought home young boar #5 tonight. I went to local Psmart today because I ran out of Betta food again, and (since everyone already knows me as the crazy GP lady by now), the girl told me they had to adopt out a boar who had come to them injured with a back bite/scratch wound. He had already been treated by the vet ( I will give them credit for that much!), and they kept him in isolation till he was completely cleared by the vet, but they would not sell him due to his injury - only give him away to a proper home. The hair is already regrowing over the wound.

Well, twist my arm and put him in a box -- and home he came. I have him in quarantine, but he is so sweet.

So here I am again with a full herd, just this time for the first time, both sexes (again - NO co-ed dorm!!!!) Will keep you all updated on the battle of the sexes!

nicodimus22

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 am

We demand pictures.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 am

Congrats on the big piggy family. I am always in awe of those who have several pigs - my three girls keep me busy as it is. I agree, post pictures. We need to see those adorable bundles of fur.

Melody R

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 am

I am going to work on figuring out how to post pix this weekend. The last (previously injured) boy I got last night is adorable. He is a totally chocolate brown Abby, with a white zig-zag stripe over one eye, no other markings. I'm thinking of calling him Hershey Kiss. Hershey for the obvious chocolate color, Kiss because he looks like the rock band with the white zig zag marking.

He also looks like a Satin -- is a Satin Abby possible? I'm not worried about the Satin part, I have had multiple Satins without any problems.

Watermelon

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:43 am

Interesting! I have only had boars myself, and never many. I would love to have a 'herd' one day though. I look forward to hearing your observations!

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

But if he has a zigzag stripe over one eye, doesn't he just HAVE to be named Harry??

Melody R

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 am

WICharlie - I'll admit I don't know to whom you are referring? Harry Potter (I didn't see the movies)? But I had an old boyfriend named Harry and I would rather not be reminded of him - lol!

Kateo

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Over the years, my sister and I have had boars and sows, respectively (always housed separately and in different rooms!) and for us, it was my trio of boars who tended to settle quietly down and snuggle together while the girls had hierarchy and a distinct pecking order. Their personalities are so wild.

Melody R

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:30 pm

I've had boars for over a decade and never had any problems with them getting along. The dominance try-outs are mild and
only last during puberty then they seem to forget about it

This is my first experience with sows, and they are all fairly youngish, so time will tell, but I have not seen ANY offensive behavior among the 5 of them (all together). I haven't even seen any chasing. They just love to popcorn -- all at the same time, what a riot!

Melody R

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm

WHO is the Harry with the zigzag? My kids are grown up so I'm a bit out of touch.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Harry Potter.

donna lea

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 am

I had only boys for a couple of years, in pairs and trios, with no issues.

Last year I rescued by first boy/girl couple and couldn't part with them (failed foster carer am I). Since then I've adopted and rescued a few more girls and desexed boys for them. I love having girls too, they are definately different personality wise.

All 25 of my pigs are in the same room, boys and girls :)