Know you guinea pig, know your poo

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

Emilyam, love the butt pic, classic! :) Moonfall, I personally wouldn't up the carrots, carrots are high in sugar. I have one water bottle for each pig. I watch how much they drink everyday. Guinea Lynx has a thread on how to keep your piggie cool during the summer, if I can find it I will send it to you. Thanks ibpatience for posting. L

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:33 am

wenton5. Carrots are NOT high in sugar! We are having a discussion right now and I want to dispel this myth! Please don't spread it!

viewtopic.php?t=68443

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 pm

About carrots, I also thought they were high in sugar until I read this thread. I enjoy feeding carrots a few times a week because they are crunchy for my girl.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 pm

FIGHT CARROT DISCRIMINATION!

moonfall

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 pm

I've seen references to "teardrop-shaped" poop as a sign of dehydration. Does that mean one end appears broken off/pointed? I bought another bottle in case my shy piggy isn't getting her share of the water, but the wire hanger that came with it is terrible and doesn't hold it up properly.

wenton5

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 am

Great Lynx, thank you, that is good to know, I wont spread it. I did read that the baby carrots that don't have the peel are treated, I will need to find that info. And then run it by you. I only give regular unpeeled organic carrot but since we are on the subject I would like to get everyones opinion on these baby unpeeled carrots. Sorry for the miss punctuation, my smart phone is being fickle. Thank you. L

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 am

Ibepatience, I forgot she was a foster. The shaved look definitely doesn't catch a potential adopter's eye in a good way.

Moonfall, I always interpreted that as the poops with a "Hershey's kiss" on one end. Charlie makes those once in a while but I don't think in his case it's related to dehydration. They look like the one on the left:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 am

Would you like me to add your photo permanently to the thread, emilyam19?

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am

You can add/use anything at all you think is helpful.

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 am

I think I might have a slightly better example (I knew I could count on Charlie). Sorry about it being out of focus.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am

Looks good! I added your first photo and cropped and shrank the above one to get more definition (it's the shape that is important).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 pm

I did read that the baby carrots that don't have the peel are treated.
From what I've read, baby-cut carrots (which are those small, peeled 'cocktail' carrots and not true baby carrots) are treated with a chlorine-water solution prior to packaging. It's supposedly not enough to pose a health concern; bagged salads are processed the same way.