Know you guinea pig, know your poo

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

If you see anything in Charlie's medical thread that might be helpful, you're welcome to it. I have a lot of weird poop pictures courtesy Charlie (there's even a folder on my desktop).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Are Mork and Mindy females? Males have banana shaped ones, no? I'll go add that photo to this thread too.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Lynx, Mork is an intact male and Mindy is a spayed female.

The droppings in this picture are definitely from Mork. I watched as they were coming out of him! I'm not sure what you mean about a banana shape? The only thing that has ever really stood out to me about Mork's poos is that they often have a lighter brown streak running down them that contrasts with the dark brown color of the rest of the poo. You can kind of see it in the picture. The vet told me it isn't anything that I should worry about, though.

Mork's (male) poo:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I can say that I recall pictures of male pigs poops looking different. Is Mork neutered? The poops are different for neutered and non-neutered guinea pigs.

kjayne

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

I had a female pig that had more banana shaped poops. Since she was adoped, I was curious to know if she had maybe been a neutered male, but her bits were all girl.

wenton5

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Yeah everyone! Here are some links regarding poo; some with pics some not. I am so happy everyone is into this! :) Thank you!
L and the gang
viewtopic.php?t=45277
Couchon's "How much to hand feed" is excellent on bloat
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - SEEKING ADVICE ON DIARRHEA
viewtopic.php?t=80 -
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Critical Care Probs, and bloating
viewtopic.php?t=9157
viewtopic.php?t=67398

Lynx, if I did the threading wrong please forgive, I'm pretty much computer illiterate. I LOVE everyone's ideas! Threads, pics, Bookfan summaries, thank you thank you!
I will find more threads in a few days when family leaves.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I wish this was a "one answer works for everything" type problem but it sure isn't.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Ech90

I am so sorry to hear about Piggy. You have had so many losses.

I must say Mork and Mindy pass mighty fine poops. You of all people must marvel at the sight of such healthy guinea pig poops.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 am

Delaine, Mork and Mindy do have nice poops, don't they? It almost amazes me when I go back and look at pictures of Buttercup's mushy ones. I honestly think that I've blocked most of it out so that I'll only remember the good parts about her. I miss Bcup so much, but I definitely don't miss her poos!

Lynx, I did a bit of searching on banana shaped male poo and found a picture of it in a thread from 2002. Link Mork's have never looked like that! He isn't neutered, so I wonder what accounts for the difference.

Wenton5, thanks for making this thread! I think it will be useful for people to have this information and links to different threads all in one place.

wenton5

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Soft droppings, due to Metacam? Bookfan's thread from Lucy:
"It's looking like Lucy's soft poops are caused by metacam. She's been on it for some time to be sure arthritis pain isn't affecting her appetite since she's been underweight. Now that she's back to a healthy weight, we've tried her off the metacam & no soft poops for a week. That's the best she's done in months."

viewtopic.php?t=62489&postdays=0&postor ... y&start=40

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

We do have to keep her greens to a minimum - I mean very little or we get soft poops again. But before she stopped the Metacam, all she got for several months was pellets, hay & vitamin c tab & had chronic soft poops. And now they're normal.

Just wanted to clarify. I'll ask our vet about it the next time I see her. She is on maternity leave so it might be a while.

wenton5

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Bookfan, Lynx, I was going to check out three other threads suggested, if you want to come in here and add all the links onto one of my postings here, great. Thanks, Lara