Do your pigs lay down when they eat?

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:35 pm

It is merde.

Becky

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:34 pm

Oops! Guess my French is rusty! Without the e, the d would be silent, right?

FurryThings

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:34 pm

I finally gave up and put my piggie food bowl atop a couple of flat rough stones (creek rocks) so he had to climb up to get to his food, otherwise he would lay IN the dish to eat

bats

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:53 pm

You may think you´ve outwitted your pig, Furrything, but he will outsmart you yet. Never underestimate the intelligence of a lazy guinea pig.
Last edited by bats on Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavytopia

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:18 pm

For Squeaky and Tiny I use the kind of bowls that fasten on the side of the cage so that they have to stand to eat their pellets. Their water bottle is hung up a bit higher on the cage and underneath it is a brick so they have to put their front paws on it to drink (good to wear down the nails as well as exercise!). When eating out of the hayrack Tiny stands up on his hind legs and eats the top portion while Squeaky stands underneath and eats the hay lower down. I just put their veggies in a ceramic bowl on the floor of the cage because the veggies don´t stay in the cage very long -- they eat them right up!

Kat

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:39 pm

A bit off-track, but Cadbury used to like moving his little bowl around the cage. I never figured out why, but he used to get his little nose around the back of the bowl and just push it around. Perhaps he wanted food where-ever he went.

Morumotto

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:44 pm

My boar does that too, even though you´d think that the size of his bowl would hinder its movement. If the bowl is in his way, he shoves it aside to clear his path.
Last edited by Morumotto on Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:59 pm

Steve will shove bowls around, too. I used to be able to count on Max dumping his dish in 5 seconds. He wouldn´t eat off the floor if I put it there, but if I put it in a bowl, he wanted it on the floor!

I still think the funniest thing is when I give them carrots. Steve must "kill" his carrot (bash it on the cage) and Jules takes off with his sideways and inevitably gets stuck trying to get through the hole in the box.

Morumotto

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:28 pm

I agree, that´s quite possibly the most amusing thing you´ll see in your life. I´m teaching my boar to approach me when I call him during floor time so eventually one day when he reaches his full size we might be able to turn him loose with the entire living room to himself. In order to be able to do this, he has to be catchable. Thus, I´ve started sitting in his play area with a stalk of celery in my hand. When I call him he´ll turn around, and it´s then that I show him the food. He´ll waddle up to me, take the bait and head back to the cage to devour it.
There´s been several occasions where he´s been incapable of re-entering. The cutest thing about it is that my boar is horribly persistant, so when it doesn´t work once, he´ll keeping backing up and repeating the process, each time trying a slightly different technique.

susan

Post   » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:08 pm

Sometimes Squishy looks like a giant white larva (I know, ewwwwww!) when she lays down and eats.

50 posts