Microchipping Guinea Pigs

worldangel

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

Recently, the pet shops here (in Singapore) have been advocating microchipping guinea pigs which are put up on sale. As a result, they are currently selling the piggies at a higher price. The microchipped pigs come with a certificate which will be given to the owner upon purchase.

First of all, is there a need to microchip guinea pigs? They aren't like dogs or cats and are mostly kept indoors. I am also concerned about the level of pain involved - is microchipping painful for them? Any of your guinea pigs have been through this procedure before? It will be great if you can share your personal experience of how it was like for your piggie after the procedure.

We posted on the pet shops' Facebook wall to ask why is there a need to microchip such a small animal and this is their reply:

"Dear fans, please do not be unduly alarmed. Micro chipping of small animals is not inhumane, and it is something that is sanctioned by the SPCA's of the world, including our very own country's SPCA, which by the way offers this as a service.

The microchip is a smaller one and not of the same size as that for dogs and cats. If there is any stress at all, it is akin to the stress level of a pet going through vaccination. By the way, micro chipping of small animals can only be performed by vets. And micro chipping of small animals is part of the adoption policies of animal welfare organizations in the US and UK.

Micro chipping benefits small animals in the way that when they are abandoned they can be traced back to their owner.

If you would like the relevant references medical or otherwise regarding micro chipping of small animals, please feel free to drop our pet care consultant an message at the forum, who would be most happy to assist you."

Does this make sense or it is just something done to earn more money from the customers at the expense of the pigs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:46 am

Does this make sense or it is just something done to earn more money from the customers at the expense of the pigs?
The latter.

If I found an abandoned guinea pig, I certainly wouldn't be looking for the owner who abandoned it.

worldangel

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 am

"Micro chipping of small animals is part of the adoption policies of animal welfare organizations in the US and UK."

I don't live in US or UK currently but is this true? If you want to adopt a guinea pig in US or UK, the pig has to be microchipped first?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 am

No, it's not part of the policies in the US. Individual rescues might have policies about it, but probably only for animals that are more likely to be running loose, like dogs or cats.

worldangel

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:03 am

Yea, exactly. I also thought that it is bs the moment I read their reply.

clairey

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am

I'm not even aware of rabbits being chipped in the UK as part of the adoption process, though I could see the use of that given rabbits are disproportionately neglected/dumped. I've never heard of it for guinea pigs.

Brambles

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm not sure what the intentions are, but as a basic idea I'm in favor of it. The piggies could carry all kinds of information in that microchip: diseases, owners, age, etc. It could be a source of research and help us take better care of the guinea pig.

Moreover you're not tracking the owners to give the piggies back to them, you're tracking the owners to sanction them. I've been reading a great deal of stories here on the forums about piggies being abandoned in large groups and the tremendous work done by the rescuers... Microchipping could help there.

I'm not sure... it really all depends on the purpose of the project.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

I've also never heard of this in the US. Primary push is for chipping dogs and cats with birds being next. I've never heard of other animals and I have to agree, if I found a lost guinea pig I certainly almost certainly wouldn't be looking for the owners (rare circumstances apply).

As for pain, the microchips are very small and guinea pigs do have a large "hunk" of loose skin at the nape of the neck where it could be inserted. I think pain would be minimal although the new recommendations seem to be insertion under anesthesia IF anesthesia is going to be administered anyway. For example, if the animal is going to be neutered, implant the chip during that procedure, but don't risk anesthesia just for the chip.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:55 pm

"And micro chipping of small animals is part of the adoption policies of animal welfare organizations in the US and UK."

That's not true for the UK.

Micro chipping cats and dogs is very common, as they are outdoor animals and they can get lost. The rescue Snowy and Fluffy came from microchips all of the cats that are re-homed.

They have never heard of micro chipping a guinea pig, and they have someone on site who is qualified to implant chips.

That reads like an excuse to get more money out of people.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:09 pm

I had to Micro chip my guinea pigs in order to import them into Germany from the US, The USDA required I microchip them in order for them to fly too, because they were going to be flying unaccompanied internationally stopping many times.

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Brambles - I would think that whoever is capable of just dumping piggies somewhere in the woods isn't the kind of person to make sure he's microchipped his guinea pigs. Same with backyard breeders.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 am

I wasn't aware that pet shops here have been advocating micochipping for pigs. The only plus I can think of is that hopefully the higher cost will make people think twice about buying a guinea pig, and instead choose to adopt. However, I guess that might lead to increase in sales from the home breeders, which isn't good at all.