Is Carefresh bedding with baking soda safe for guinea pigs?

giannapiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:55 am

I read lately lots of comments and bad reviews about Carefresh and their new formula with baking soda in it for better odor control, mostly from bunnies owners. Is this safe for guinea pigs? I search about it and i read that many people sprinkle a little bit of baking soda under their main bedding. We all know that guinea pigs have a sensitive respiratory system and baking soda could damage them, right? Is baking soda safe for guinea pigs?

sef1268

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 am

I've seen mixed opinions on the use of baking soda in such products. My general rule of thumb on paper bedding is, if it leaves a residue/dusty film at the bottom of the cage or haybox, I don't use it. That said, my personal feeling on any so-called 'odor control' bedding is that routine cleaning should keep odors at bay without the need for baking soda or other additives.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 am

Being a chemist, I am against it. Residues will stick to the body and will be ingested during grooming. This is a great article about the influence of it on the body. Pigs can easily be overdosed, so it can even kill them.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/side-effects-contraindications

giannapiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:23 am

I read mixed opinions too during my search and i was a bit confused. If baking soda is harmful to piggies why a popular company like carefresh use it in their new formula and destroy their population about quality (not that carefresh was dust free at least no baking soda was on it) . And mostly why people sprinkle soda in their bottom of the cage when you just have to keep up with the cleaning rules and the right bedding. @pigjes thank you for the article i ll be read it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:39 am

Why a company would use such a thing is because they can market it and make money. They have way more interest in their profits than they do in the health of the animals that use their products.

giannapiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 am

I read that baking soda was most in a certain products like ''CareFRESH® Advanced Odor Control'' but all their bedding appearing new and impoved. Does anybody know if the formula exist in all their bedding products? Maybe a warning about it must be outhere for all the piggie owners. No mention about the possible harm of the bedding was online as i was searching about it.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

I imagine that the company adds the baking soda while the stuff is "cooking" and it's not "sprinkled on". So I don't see any harm in that.

I also don't see any need for that.

giannapiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:33 am

What is the difference @lisam? The only concern is if the bedding is ok for piggies so any information about it will be helpful

sef1268

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 pm

What might be considered 'safe' for one animal may cause problems in another. Best we can do here is offer our opinions on it. Bottom line: if you have any doubts or concerns about this type of bedding, then don't use it.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Well, Carefresh is made from recycled paper, yes? So I imagine that they shred/mash/pulverise/etc the paper into a pulp. If they add the baking soda during that process, it "becomes one" with the bedding, and wouldn't be baking powder dust sprinkled on afterwards.

I have no idea if this is what actually happens. All conjecture on my part.

giannapiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Of course if you have any doubts or concerns about something you will not use it. But it is wise to know about it..
@Lisam you have a point on that..I ll keep search about it a bit!

Pippipig

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:25 pm

My piggy is semi litter box trained and I use mostly regular shavings with a few odor control in the bathroom area.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 am

The fact that it's 'cooked' with baking soda, does not mean it's sealed in with a coating. A small amount will come free with contact, especially as pigs move around. More will come out when it gets peed on, as it will dissolve in it. Plus, some pigs nibble on Carefresh.

sef1268

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Very good point! Again, I just really don't see a need for any kind of additive, anyway. Just another gimmick to try to sell more bedding.

Raelinnea

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm

I use Petco's "Planet Petco Paper pellet litter ONLY for the two litter boxes I have, outside of that I have fleece covers on the rest of the cage.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 am

If a cage stinks, there is a problem. Either it's not cleaned often enough, or a pig is sick. Masking laziness with odor control is making it worse, as the cage will be cleaned even less. Masking odor caused by illness can be deadly to the pig.

giannapiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:07 am

Thank you @pigjes for the info. So 'cooked' or not the extra does cause a problem. I am gonna stay in the safe side either way. It is just that carefresh was in their litter box under hay that i used to put, now i ll see what i can get. What about Back 2 nature? Do you have any info about that bedding and any extras in it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:13 pm

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for that link, bpatters!

Back 2 nature is recycled paper bedding. Although it can be fun for pigs to do the occasional cardboard and paper ripping/playing, personally, I am no fan of using it constantly as bedding. Paper often contains bleachers, ink and China clay aka Kaolinite, all 3 chemicals which should be avoided for constant use.

If the ink is toxic, despite that Back 2 nature has a small amount according to their site, it is a carcinogenic. If it's soy based, it's far less toxic. Kaolinite can cause serious lung issues when it's inhaled, but I have no clue how much is still present in recycled paper. As it's not sealed in, it can be spread around in paper dust.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+630

Paper bleaching can be done with various toxic or carcinogenic products, like chlorine, hydrogen peroxide and the worst of all: dioxin.

There is a difference in acute toxicity and long term toxicity. Paper bedding should not cause acute toxicity, but the long term effects of various chemicals in it is an issue. Piggies are small, so how much can they take before it has effects? They are small, so that sure has a big impact.

Dgorgo

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:47 am

I use Kaytee paper bedding (the unscented one) and I guess it is as good as Carefresh, although I never used Carefresh. If paper bedding affects the respiratory system of guinea pigs, rats, hamsters, etc, what else is there? I was thinking about changing to Aspen, but I am a little unsure about that as well.

22 posts