Guinea Pig Appreciation Day

Piggles1

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi everyone,

This is posted with Lynx’s permission.

My name is Caroline and I am the founder of Piggles Guinea Pig Rescue, based in Toronto, Canada. The rescue was started in 2009, since which time we have helped nearly 1300 guinea pigs in need. But that’s not what I want to tell you about today.

Just about every animal has its “day”, but guinea pigs do not, despite being one of the most popular family pets. We would like to change that, and are asking for your help. We would like to establish Guinea Pig Appreciation Day, to be celebrated on July 16th each year, and are contacting owners, shelters, rescues, breeders, pet stores, vet clinics and anyone else we can think of to promote it. We are also hoping to have it made an “official” day, and understand that one of the ways of making that happen is to have a FB page with at least 1,000 Likes. That’s where you come in!

We have created a FB page https://www.facebook.com/GuineaPigAppreciationDay/ and already have over 250 Likes in just a few days, but we need more! Would you like and share our page?

We know that GL supporters have “Guinea Pigs Are Magic” Day on June 11th, but we are hoping to establish something with appeal that spreads beyond the guinea pig world. And you can’t have too many reasons for celebrating guinea pigs!

Please note that, although GPAD has been initiated through Piggles Rescue, it is not an attempt to promote the rescue, and GPAD is being created to stand on its own.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Absolutely! What a great idea!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Oh, and she forgot to post how she came up with the date! I thought it was rather cool (originally was trying to figure out if she could use our date instead).

Guinea Pig -- the G is the 7th letter of the alphabet and the P is the 16th.

Hence July 16th!

Anyway, hers is as good a method as any for picking the date :-)

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes, that is cool. How come this hasn't been thought of before now? I'm going to mark my calendar and post it later for us and our other piggie people in our lives.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Oh that is neat how they picked the date! I love Piggles Rescue and love the idea of this Guinea Pig Appreciation Day!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 am

I "liked" it!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:14 pm

"Liked"

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:50 am

Me too. Will like it on both pages.

Nakedwheekers
Supporter in '16

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:51 am

May I promote this at an upcoming Pet Expo? I can have the facebook page out and tell people about it. :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:08 am

Just liked it on my other page. Thanks for the reminder.

Piggles1

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Please everyone, feel free to post whenever and wherever you think people might be interested! And thank you so much for your support - the page has nearly 500 Likes already, in less than a week!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Please also let us know closer to the day.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:03 am

Today is Guinea Pig Appreciation Day

Loving on ours this morning...thankful they are in our lives.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:51 am

Riahrae

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:28 am

Gave mine all little kisses this morning.(everyday they get lisses today just maybe one too many) (mochas face was priceless it gave the 'what the....' look)

So greatful for every single one of that came into my life when they did.
[/img]

15 posts • Page 1 of 1