Piggies and ramps!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:39 am

When we added a loft to our C and C cage last weekend, we put in a ramp to the second level. I cannot tell you the laughter it has created in our house! The pigs all have their own "style" and learned at their own pace! Tubbit had it mastered within 12 hours, Penny took about 3 days and Lilly took about 7 days. Boy, do they have it down now! It really is quite entertaining! I know that some of you have mentioned that your pigs go up stairs. I could never imagine how they did it, but now I can! I love it best when one pig is 1/2 down and another is 1/2 way up and they have to figure out a plan. Too much! I think they are happier with the added territory too. They seem real perky.
Kara

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:40 am

Very cute Kara! We have a small ramp, about 12 inches long. Fido runs up and down all day; the upper level is his favorite hide out. Spot won´t have anything to do with the ramp or the upper level. I tried putting his food up there, but instead of taking the ramp, he would hoist himself to the upper level. And dive off when he was done eating. Silly pig.

I am building the boys a bigger cage (C&C) and plan to put a large ramp down to their play area. I wondered if I should try to make it wide enough for one to go up while the other is going down, but a narrow ramp sounds pretty entertaining!

bats

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:40 pm

We have a 5 foot long ramp we drop in daily -- it goes from their cage down to the floor... and the minute we carry it over to the cage, the pigs run over and jockey for who gets to go down first. They love it.

We´re also started noticing that they run back up to their cage to pee. I never expected that, bless their little hearts.
Last edited by bats on Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:08 pm

Self-potty-trained pigs, I love that Bats. Yes, my ramp will be a reproduction of yours. You´re my hero :).

bats

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:35 pm

Ha! I think the reason the pigs started peeing upstairs is because they´re afraid of my wrath. I´m a neatness freak... as was my mother and her mother before her. Anyone or anything caught peeing on my carpet would be summarily disemboweled.
Last edited by bats on Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:55 pm

That´s too cute that they potty-trained themselves! I don´t think my girls care where they go. Their favorite spot right now is to pee and poop in the hay. Then they sleep in it and eat it! I am beginning to wonder about their mental capacity! Maybe I should bring them on a field trip to your house, Bats, and your pigs could enlighten them! The one smart thing that Tubbit does now, is that she begs for food from the loft. That way she is closer to the food coming into the cage and she gets to dine alone!

I bet the piggers love floor time! My girls have not quite warmed-up to the idea. When I let them out, they all go and hide... and pee!! Like I said, I wonder about them. Maybe I should fashion a ramp from their cage to the floor. Since they already like their existing ramp, that might work!

Kara

bats

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:05 pm

My pigs adapted to the office environment quite quickly -- lots of foot traffic, two cats, the vacuum, the radio blaring away on the floor... and the pigs just walk around, oblivious to it all. We keep some upside-down cat beds with towels underneath on the floor -- so the kids can hide if they get scared. But the girls use those primarily for naps.

Yesterday, we accidentally left the ramp in place while we were cleaning the cage. The cage was absolutely bare -- just exposed coroplast drying out from the damp-wipe -- when up the ramp marched both piggers. They walked right into the center of the coroplast, left their puddles, turned around, and went back down the ramp. Cracked me up.
Last edited by bats on Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:34 am

OMG... Bats?!? Are you the one with the cage that looks like cherry wood (or a darker wood atleast) in the office?? With the plexiglass in front, wood houses inside and a ramp that you can put in the front to let them down in your office? If that is you, might I just tell you that I saw your pic somewhere online (maybe it was this board? hmm I´m kinda lost on which board is which right at the moment) and saved it on my hard drive. I hope that is okay. I´m hoping to talk husband into building me one of those someday. Say, how much would you charge to come to Texas to make me one of those? :lol Might save me the trouble of talking husband into it, listening to him gripe trying to figure out how to make it just like that one, plus also waiting for him to have time off from work. I know I know.. you are probably busy too.

But dang that is weird. Reading all your posts and laughing at most of them (hopefully that was your intentions, I mean no disrespect LOL) and all this time YOU have been the owner of my DREAM guinea pig cage that I long for on a daily basis? Sometimes I look at the pic and go man... if only I could blink my eyes and that would appear in my other living room... it would match so perfectly with my victorian furniture with cherry wood legs/etc. LOL You know you want to give that to me.... LOL

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:36 am

ps. if you can swing a trip to make me one- be sure to bring along the piggies so they can potty train Isabelle. She needs serious help on that ... she is NOT getting it. LOL HAHAHAHA

Teresa

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:18 am

I couldn´t resist reposting his photo here. It´s the last one on the Ramps album on www.cavycages.com

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:23 am

That looks just so neat. I wonder, given how important a clean house is to Bats, if the perimeter of the play area is boobie trapped with an invisible fence so errant pigs learn quickly to stay off the carpet.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:34 am

Yes, my boys would have bedding and hay all over the moving blanket, plus some ground in tomatoe.

Bats, is that a piggy on top of his house? What´s he on the look out for? And what´s that behind him? Do you put food on top of the house?