Uncontrollably Wheeking

GuinessOllie

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 pm

How can I prevent him from not wheeking so much . I feed him 2-3 times a day . He wheeks every time I come to my room . I know it's not healthy for them to eat every time they wheel . He hisses at me if I don't give anything . I tell him he was fed already . My aunt didn't know he's only allowed to eat 2-3 times day and she over fed him so he thinks every time i go in my room I have something for him . He's a hoot

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Does he have hay all the time? He should never be without hay -- he needs it 24x7.

afdani1984

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm

I have one pig in particular who is a con-artist and will wheek for food even if you've just given him his vegetable ration. I toss more hay at that problem if he gets loud between scheduled meals. They have 24/7 access to hay, but if he's picked through what he considers the choice pieces, he runs around the cage wheeking and pouting. I just drop a fresh pile in the bucket and fluff the hay bags.

Sarita33

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:02 am

My pigs wheek anytime they sense someone is near. It is totally normal. If I don't have anything for them I will show them my hand and let them smell and "see" that I am just visiting. They are all very well fed but will beg for food always.

greysome

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Winnie used to wheek when I first got her and she had settled a bit but stopped when she figured out if it wasn't veggie time, I would ignore her wheeks. At first, I made the mistake of giving her attention when she wheeked but after a short period of time, I figured out she was partly doing it to try and get extra veggies. I had a hamster who use to bar-chew for attention but stopped when she realized I wouldn't pay her any attention if there was bar-chewing so I tried a similar tactic with Winnie. She did temporarily get both Miss Daisy and later, Rosie, doing it when she initially realized there was another piggy present though they never continued it beyond a day or two. I just treated them just like I did Winnie though I'm not sure if they stopped because there was no reaction to their wheeks or if it was because Winnie stopped wheeking and they had just been following her lead.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Hay is provided through out the day .

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:43 am

My Marius does it less. Always on weekends.

patpenguin

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:22 pm

New member here! I had to smile when reading the wheeking posts! Our Vinnie does this around 10AM, it seems she got used to receiving her daily veggies at that time and if I don't get it done by that time, she runs around her little house and sometimes even jumps on top of it to look for me! LOL She is such a pleasure to have.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Just ignoring it should work, at least it stopped mine from chewing their cage's bars. If they reach up (put their paws on the sides to be taller and show they expect something) I gently push them down, and eventually they figure out that I don't have anything. It helps if you come into the room without paying attention to them (looking at them or anything), if you look at them or anything they think you have something!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 am

Years ago, and I have told this story often, I was told to feed pigs only when they didn't wheek for food, so rewarding less stressed behavior, This worked so well, that all residents pigs learned the newbies to shut up, lol. Years later, there is still no wheeking for food, although I have been baffled by a perfect stunning array and display of non-verbal signs to draw my attention ever since.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:59 am

I can imagine them rolling over and playing dead to get your attention, pigjes!

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am

I love how much my piggies wheek when I come in their room! Or if they hear my voice!
Maybe its because I have 4 cats and an indifferent chihuahua so its nice that at least 2 of my pets get excited to see me! lol

Ignoring it might work. It hasn't worked for me yet. Whenever I ignore them they just wheek louder until my mom hears them. Even if they just had veggies they know they can trick her into getting them more!