Cage chewers! What do your pigs like for chew toys?

bugsyxo

Post   » Sun May 21, 2017 3:42 pm

My 2 female piggies (2 years old) are not big chewers but recently have started chewing on the C&C cage bars. I have tried several wooden chew toy options but those do not seem to catch their interest. I am unsure where to go next and know that they need chew toys to keep their teeth nice and healthy.

What do your piggies enjoy chewing on? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm

What is their diet? Do you have high quality hay available at all times? Is their cage big enough?

As a last resort (if you cannot interest them in hay), you can line a large cage with plexiglass so they can see but not chew.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Plexiglass is your best bet. And you may not have to line the whole cage. For my bar chewer, I only had to do the corner closest to the kitchen, where she chewed mightily while I was fixing the veggies.

bugsyxo

Post   » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 pm

My girls have a custom 4x3 C&C cage. Plenty of space and they also receive plenty of floor time and timothy hay.

bugsyxo

Post   » Sun May 21, 2017 8:17 pm

After a visit to the vet, I think the issue was my switch to orchard grass hay. I am allergic to timothy so I switched to orchard grass after research but immediately switched back to timothy and my girls are satisfied. Thanks all

WICharlie

Post   » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Chew sticks are a waste of time for guinea pigs. It's the molars on a guinea pig that need constant paring down through chewing and a guinea pig can't chew a wooden stick with the rear teeth. It sounds like you have figured out that hay is where it's at!

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm

My one girl chews the cage bars furiously when I am getting her veggies ready...and the younger girl is now doing it as well (monkey-see, monkey-do!) and I would put plexiglass on the side she does it the most, but she does it in whatever area she's in when she hears the food sounds. Is it damaging for their teeth to do this? If not, I guess I am not worried about the cage itself. I just don't want them to damage their teeth.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Yes, it's damaging to their teeth. We've seen many a broken tooth from bar chewers. I'd just line the cage with plexiglass.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1