Chamomile for guinea pigs

Ceschloe

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 pm

I have planted some chamomile in our garden and have heard that guinea pigs can have it as well, I would love to feed it to them, but I'm not sure what parts of the flower they can eat, does anyone know?

Kimera

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:52 pm

I suppose that, as it is the case with many other herbs, guinea pigs can eat any part of the plant. What they will like is another thing. In terms of herbal medicinal material, the most valuable part of camomile is the flower.

JX4

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 pm

When I lived in Spain, chamomile that was for general use was made from flowers and other parts. Chamomile that was for pharmaceutical use was made only from the flowers. And Spaniards quite definitely regard the pharmaceutical chamomile as medicine. It treats issues of the digestive tract. When I got food poisoning and couldn't keep anything down at all, not even 7-Up, the medicinal chamomile was the only thing that stayed down. Spaniards say the best way to take it for stomach issues is with lemon juice and honey in it, though when I couldn't keep anything at all down I had to drink it just the chamomile. It does indeed help humans. Whether it would help guinea pigs I have no idea.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:15 am

Roman chamomile or German chamomile?

Kimera

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:06 am

Both German and Roman chamomile are used for medicinal purposes. Other species of chamomile contain less substances considered useful for humans, but are still edible. I have, however, found information that there is one species of chamomile which is slightly poisonous to animals, and definitely should not be fed to guinea pigs. This is so called stinking chamomile, Anthemis cotula. Fortunately, it has an unpleasant smell, which makes it easy to recognize and avoid.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:16 am

In aromatherapy class we learned Roman chamomile had more sedative qualities. My ex told me it's a drying agent, which is also something to consider.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1