Are my guinea pigs happy?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm

I noticed during floor time that both of my pigs will flop onto their sides if I itch a spot near their hips. It seemed similar to dog asking for a belly rub but it only happened when I itched that exact spot and I don't know what it means considering the behavior of dogs and guinea pigs are very different. The pig's back end flopped completely over with one leg slightly up and the front feet were keeping balance on the ground. After they returned to normal exploring. Is this normal and is it a good or bad sign?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Perhaps there's a nerve there responsible for their behavior.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm sorry to bother again, but one of my guinea pigs has gained more weight for much longer than my other pig. I thought it was because they were young and still growing. I decided to get a tape measure. She's nearly 10 inches long and she's not overweight based on how well I can feel her ribs (They are fed plenty so she's not underweight). Is it possible she is a cuy? I thought they were mainly in the west and I live in the east. She doesn't have extra toes, but one of her eyes is kind of hazy. It has been looked at and I was told it was fine. Is there other signs of a pig being a cuy? My other pig is only just under 7 inches, but she will probably grow as well. They are the same age and from the same litter

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 pm

How much does she weigh?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:08 pm

About 1400 grams. It's actually just under, but she'"ll probably get that weight soon. She looks heavier than her sister, but the sister is still recovering her weight from the babies (who are rehomed) nursing. She feels based on the ribs like a good weight. She also does not have the double chin either that many chubbier guinea pigs have

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 pm

That's not too much. It's actually very difficult for a guinea pig to be overweight. It usually happens only when adults are fed unlimited pellets, and/or have limited mobility.

Cuy usually weigh over four pounds, which is 1800 grams.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Like I said she is still growing. I barely feed any Pellets so that shouldn't be a problem then. If she gets that big which hopefully she won't then I'll keep you up to date. Thank you for the help!

27 posts