Guinea pig cremation

carlylou92

Post   » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:59 pm

hello.

im new to this and really havent got a clue how to use it. I lost my 7 year old piggy rex on tuesday. I'm devastated 😔 I am just wondering if anyone has ever had one of there piggys cremated?

thank you x

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 pm

I split off your post to its own topic.

I am so sorry you lost your guinea pig. Yes, there are some people who have had their pets cremated.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 am

Yes, we always do. It's not allowed to bury them in your garden anyway here in Belgium. Plus, to us, the soul takes permanent residence in our hearts, so we can leave the body behind easily.

So sorry. We have Rex too, they sure are gentle souls.

pridding

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 am

Very sorry to hear about your loss Carlylou, I know what you are going through as I lost my beloved 6 year old Charlie 2 weeks ago.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:01 am

I lost my Flossie 3 weeks ago and had a necropsy performed the next day (we discovered she had cancer and there would have been nothing we could have done for her anyway = peace of mind) then had her cremated. I received some beautiful mementos back along with her ashes in a gorgeous wood box (we paid for a private cremation). I won't hesitate to do either again.

CavyDad

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Carlylou. We did the same as GrannyJu--private cremation and the ashes returned in a wood box. It's a little more expensive, but I don't regret it at all. Since our box didn't have anything to personalize it, we went to a local awards/trophy shop and they engraved a nameplate for us with the name and dates to put on top of the box. They did a beautiful job. It was inexpensive and the perfect finishing touch.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:13 am

Sorry for your loss. With all seven of my nine pigs I had them cremated at the vet's, whether they died there or at home. I opted for private cremation and sprinkled their ashes in the garden next to our side entrance.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 pm

"to us, the soul takes permanent residence in our hearts."

I like this & passed it on to my daughters. We're still mourning the last 2 pigs we've lost.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

How to use it...Take your pig to any vet office and they will offer cremation services. You can either opt for a private cremation whereby you can receive the ashes of your pet back OR you can have the pet cremated with other deceased pets and have the ashes taken care of by the vet service. The first option is always more expensive.

I always have my pets cremated but I always opt for the second option. I don't want a collection of urns around the house to remember my pets by. I would rather just go by memory and photos. Where I am, the second option costs about $75 for a guinea pig.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:07 am

Lightning (my avatar pig) was the first one to die. The vet, a very well-regarded one, gave me the option of getting his ashes back or having a "mass cremation." I opted for the former and was glad I did. a couple weeks later the clinic was involved in a scandal in which uncremated remains were dumped somewhere in the woods in another state :( .

10 posts • Page 1 of 1