Chameleon like eye movement

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:20 am

Binky has been here for 3 weeks now. The first time I saw it, it scared the bejeebers out of me!!!! In 48 years of having pigs, I never saw such an outspoken eye movement.

Piggies have binocular vision, their eyes are on the sides of their heads, giving them the opportunity to have a wider view, as prey animals, to be able to hide at the first sign of danger. This means they can combine both separate views, or focus on one view, using their favorite eye. Usually it's the right eye, but I had a few left eyed pigs.

Binky can move both eyes separately. He uses his right eye to focus, and moves it in any direction to look at something, whilst his left eye just stays put. When he doesn't focus, both eyes move in the same direction.

The first time that I picked him up to give him a kiss, by talking to him gently first, my jaw was on the floor!!! His right eye checked out my face all over, his left didn't move. He now does that each time I snuggle him. It was a bit creepy at first, but as soon as he spots my smile, he often smiles back, so it's cuuuuute. Yes, he's the 3rd smiling pig I ever had, in 48 years, as Kooky did too, and Plucky still does.

I would need a warped wide screen camera to put this on vid, it doesn't exist, to show this eye movement.

Did any of you ever notice this so obviously?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:49 am

That is quite interesting! Never heard of it! It would indeed be great to get a video of it.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 am

I can move my eyes separately, it's has been a neat gag when I meet new friends, but he can do it so swiftly!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Just noticed something else. Binky can also fully close one eye. I grabbed him for lap time, and hub said that he had his eyes closed, yet the one looking at me was open. We noticed that Plucky can do this partially too. I wonder if this is meant to focus even better on one eye's vision?

GuineaDad

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Wow, that is very amusing. I've never heard of piggy doing that before. Closing one eye though, my Tofu was doing that when she was suffering from bacterial conjunctivitis in one eye, but it sounds like your piggy is just skilled :)

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am

One of my pigs keeps one eye open and one closed when she sleeps sometimes. I've noticed the open one is always looking towards my door though. I think the eye closing depends on your pig, but as for separately moving his eyes, that sounds very unique!!! I'd love a chance to see a pig do that. It's so cool some of the things these amazing animals surprise us with