smells?

locharma

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Do any of you on here know or have experienced your gpigs reacting to certain smells? like ok, I have wax warmers and I sometimes I feel like maybe its too strong? idk let me know :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 pm

I wouldn't use them around the pigs, or around humans, for that matter. You're basically inhaling hydrocarbons, and that can't be good for you or for them. And since respiratory infections are hard to treat in pigs, it's probably better not to use anything that might adversely affect their lungs.

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 am

I don't think wax warmers mean inhaling hydrocarbons, do they? I mean, the wax doesn't burn, as I understand it, it just melts and releases fragrance.

ETA I suppose if it's one heated by a tea light then that is burning. But I would have thought the fragrance was more of a concern than the candle itself.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Being a chemist, I am against all synthetic oily/waxy/fragrances and non-perfume stuff that smells, for humans and pets. It has so many bad chemicals, and since society moves to less house ventilation due to energy saving measures, all those chemicals linger inside our homes and cause damage. We are made to believe it is "safe" and that word should not be used without restrictions, which people don't read or use.

It's sad that people got brainwashed that we can't smell normal, up to a point that people even don't dare to fart in the presence of family members and partners, according to what I hear from younger people. Everything is supposed to smell "nice". Really, why????

And, don't even get me started about pesticides, bug killers, etc. It's just all bad, period. Sorry for the venting, had to get that off my chest.

In case that you really seem to need a "smell" indoors, try something natural like rose water in a dish to evaporate, or natural oils with a scent. Don't burn it, heat it, evaporate it, use wall socket stuff. The simpler the product and it's use, the healthier it is.

Besides that, pigs smell different than we do, it all might overwhelm them.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Piggies are VERY sensitive. They know when you've been handling other pigs. And they will bite you if it displeases them. Especially boars.