Help

Mommyteya

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 pm

I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot… But I got a guinea pig. She's adorable and I love her. I don't understand the fruit veggie chart… Can somebody just lay it out flat for me what she can have daily. I know fruit shouldn't be given often. I know carrot shouldn't be every day. I don't kale shouldn't be every day. The person I got her from was not a good owner… And had no information about how she was previously cared for.

So I've been basically like scouring online. I found a whole Lotta people want to talk but as I'm listening or reading I realize that they are complete idiots and have no idea what you're talking about. Which kind it doesn't help me. She's a healthy little girl… I had to get her toes trimmed and when I got her she was losing hair hair due to negligence one the original owner ( it was vitamin deficiencies ). Her hair is growing back now.

She really liked me so it was give her to me or take her somewhere. I took her and I'm glad I did.she is a sweet little spit fire. Lol She deserves to have an a nice life. I'm doing my best with feeding her veggies… But I feel like a complete idiot in this area.

I give her hay all the time… 100% access at all times to Timothy hay. I do go get her some grass from the yard and every now and then some dandelion or Clover. The only portion of her care that I seem to really be struggling with is the vegetables… I want to give her the best life I can. I just don't understand the veggies, I guess.

I was told that this is a trusted site… So this would be a good place to ask all my questions.

Also I read somewhere that she can have Applewood as a toy… Or a chew thing. I have a little tree out back and I know you have to bake it or something like that to make it safe. But is that the truth can she really have that?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 am

Try this: https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

The only warning I have is that romaine causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs, which could contribute to bladder stones. Other pigs are not bothered. But red or green leaf lettuce is a safer bet.

Most of us settle into a pretty constant menu for our pigs. They don't turn their noses up at much of anything. so variety isn't too important. I have two pigs, and for the both of them, every day, they get a leaf or two of lettuce, a few small chunks of carrot, 1/4 radicchio, a couple of cherry tomatoes, a sizeable hunk of bell pepper (half a small one, 1/6 of a really large one), two wheels of cucumber. Depending on what we have in the fridge, they may get a couple of wheels of summer squash, the silks and inner husks of corn, and occasional tidbits of fruit.

Pigs can also have occasional small amounts of kale or spinach. They're both too high in calcium to be fed often or in large quantities.

You don't have to bake apple wood to make it safe -- the only thing that has to be baked is pine cones. The wood just shouldn't have been sprayed with any pesticides.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 am

Welcome to being a guinea pig slave! Will you be looking for a friend for her? My piggies I have 6 girls, now 3 of them will NOT touch lettuce no matter what type you give them. I have tried red and green oak and cos lettuce and they just turn their noses up at it. They love their spinach and baby spinach which they get every day and I guess I have been very lucky in getting no stones.

I also give my piggies carrot, rockmelon, cucumber, grass, cherry tomato, celery cut into small pieces other wise they may choke, parsley which 3 won't touch, they also get Timothy hay to eat, Oaten and Meadow hay to play and hide in and Oxbow pellets.

Many on here will disagree with feeding them spinach but here in Australia which don't have a lot of choice what we feed them and like I said I have been lucky(touching wood) that none of my pigs have had stones. They won't eat capsicum, basil, watercress squash to name some.

Try giving her food from the GL food chart but in moderation, she'll tell you what she likes and doesn't like. Wishing the two of you a wonderful life together, she sounds like a real angel full of personality!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

For my "base" menu of veggies I give green bell pepper (other colors have more sugar), some celery, and a bit of cucumber. I also give them a "variation" veggie, such as cherry tomato or zuchini.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 am

If you look at the vegetable/fruit chart and read the intro, you will note it points you to the fave page that bpatters links to. This is a good guideline. So are bpatter's suggestions. You figure out what works for your guinea pigs with an eye to any medical conditions.

https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html
Should I feed all the foods on this chart?
No. If you'd like some diet recommendations, look at the "Favorites" page instead.

How can I use the Guinea Lynx' chart on this page?
This chart allows you to see how various fruits and vegs stack up nutritionally and how one food compares to others. Corn, for example, is nutritionally very poor and is not recommended for guinea pigs.

Mommyteya

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I did read the favorites page. I was just lost and what to do on a daily basis. I did read the the whole chart and I was just confused by the end of that. I did go to favorites and it's just suggested. That's why asked to see what other people see their piggies.

You were not kidding you do end up being a piggy slave. I go and check on her all the time… Like she's going to go and do something horrible or like she needs constant emotional support or something lol… Floortime she gets you know as long as she wants basically. We have you know nice big enclosed bathroom that has no plug it in i you were not kidding you do end up being a piggy slave. I go and check on her all the time… Like she's going to go and do something horrible… Floortime she gets you know as long as she wants basically.

I've been trying to watch what she doesn't like she does not really care for zucchini. I've not given her spinach. She does like Kale but I really only give her a couple of pieces the size of a quarter. Not like full on leaves or anything.

Today was the first day that I gave her a green bell pepper. As I read that on the list of things that she should try. She loved it so I'm happy. I gave her some English cucumber today too. She liked that too- I was surprised. She's funny when it comes to eating. I've also been doing a lot of hand feeding to try to get her to trust me a bit more. Since her last owner was horrible.

and I just want to say thank you to everybody who responded. It seems like what I'm doing must be OK then. It's similar to what you guys are doing so… Yeah, this is my first time and I just wanted to make sure that you know she's good. Because I really enjoy her a little punk butt . I also want to say that yesterday she actually started to make noises. I've had her for a couple months and she's made next to nothing. No excitement no nothing noises. And today she was but I call it " Fweeking." Lol so I think this is a sign of being happy. At least that's what I want to believe!