Hay House

Sunset_Piggy

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm

I have been wanting to make a Hay House for sometime I have thought of using a Cardboard box and making kind of like a Barn Shape. Does anyone else have some ideas for a Hay House. By the way when I mean Hay House I mean like a Hidey area to eat hay

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Most people have a separate hay area in their C&C cage. I used to use a low kitty litter box as a hay area. Others actually devote a section as the hay area and have it separated with coroplast walls or on a different level with a ramp. I do think you need something on all four sides to put the hay in to keep it relatively neat and in place but I'm not sure a box over the top will do it. You also have to be careful that there's more than one entrance if it's set up like a big hidey. Otherwise your pigs may bicker if they are constantly meeting to go in and out of one opening.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 pm

I used to have a "hay bin", but since the pigs pooped in it so much at least half the hay was just being used as bedding. Now I keep the hay in a hay thing that goes on the side. However, if you don't mind some wasted hay, the hay bin does work well.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:03 am

I used to have a giant bunny litter corner pan, made extra holes in the top for ventilation. I put absorbent fleece pads at the bottom. This works well if there is no super dominant pig in the cage. Otherwise, a pile of hay is the only solution left.

sef1268

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 am

FM Brown, I think, makes a hay barn. You might Google it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2018

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am

Wish someone made hay barns/hidey's here in Australia! I reckon the girls would love it! But I'm NOT going to pay an arm and a leg for postage and buy it from the UK or USA! You're so lucky you can buy things for your piggies! We're so far behind here!

6 posts • Page 1 of 1