Do your pigs ever want to be picked up?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:38 pm

I´d say as a rule, mine don´t. In the evening, I hold each of them and give them a piece of green pepper to eat. Kitten is usually easy to grab and almost seems to cooperate. As soon as Snowflake figures out something is up, she takes off for the other hangout, usually with Nina behind her.

After holding Kitten this evening, I cleaned their sleeping area (new towel, fresh pinechips and hay). Nina adores the fresh hay and I think loves being the first girl in. She returned and snuck behind a towel, surreptitiously grabbing pieces of hay. It was her turn to be picked up next so I tried to position her but she´d run one way, then I cornered her in another area -- and she squeezed past me to freedom.

Well she stood there (just behind me), wondering what had gone wrong -- obviously perplexed I had messed up so badly, and after a moment came back in so I could catch her. She´s done that a couple times. It always kills me because she whimpers so much and acts like she does NOT want to be picked up but then she gives me a second chance.

Some of these pigs are real characters, and awfully fun to have around.
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:53 pm

In another post, there was quite a discussion about the gp "code" of running away. Mine certainly do that. When I finally do catch them, I also get mixed reactions. Cookie seems to like it pretty much, especially since she was sick and I had to handle her so much. She also likes to be held by the first graders in my class as long as they´re petting her. Chippie, on the other hand, whimpers just like your Nina.

Seems to me it´s kind of a survival instinct to put up as much of a fuss as possible.

At any rate, it doesn´t matter. We do all these things for them, so they´re "obligated" to be person-handled on a regular basis!

pigpal

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:48 am

Willie definitely wants to be picked up when he´s on the floor and something scares him. He clambers up into my lap and tries to climb up into my arms. "Save me! Save me!" is written all over his portly little self.
Occasionally when I´m sprawled on the floor reading or watching TV he´ll come over and settle into some safe harbor, like the crook of my elbow or the bend of my knees. He´s my Special Pig.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:52 am

Aw, pigpal, that´s sweet.

Lynx, Spot is like your Nina. He acts like he hates being picked up, but will follow me around whining until I do.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1