Bedding

Dgorgo

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 pm

So many brag about fleece for bedding. I tried it and found that it is always wet and it holds the odor. No at all absorbent. I have to change the fleece every other day. I have several pieces and am always washing. My piggy produces a lot of urine. This is my first time with piggies so I don't know if that is normal. I am thinking of trying aspen. Anyone here use it?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 pm

You can try that. Be sure you have a large cage. Not all fleece is the same. Some kinds work better and all work best in a large cage.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Are you putting something absorbent under the fleece? It only works to wick the moisture through to an absorbent layer underneath, and won't work at all by itself.

Nuoc Mam

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:31 am

I use wicked fleece with 2 layers of Uhual moving pads inside and it works great...I do daily cage cleaning but the fleece last me a good week with not much odor.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm

I have used U-haul in the past and was absolutely not impressed, it smelled fast. Personally, I prefer 100% cotton towels as absorbent material under fleece. I have tried just about everything, besides bamboo fiber fabric.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm

I have 2 pads (going to be 3, if I ever get around to sewing the last one...) with 2 layers U-Haul pads. They last 4-5 days for me. With less absorbency, they would last a lot less time.
Also, makes sure the fleece has been washed before using it. If it's not, it has a waterproof coating that doesn't let the water soak into the lower absorbent layer. Mine had to be washed 2 - 5 times before I could use it to make "piggy pads." (I used several different pieces of fleece)

Soniah

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 am

I use only newspapers and at night give them fleece which i wash every morning. Easier to clean as they poop and pee everywhere even in their bowl.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am

If you're just using newspapers, you're in danger of giving them bumblefoot. They need dry bedding to keep their feet healthy. The reason fleece is so popular is that it wicks the liquid through to an underneath absorbent layer, and keeps their feet dry.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm

So I've just agreed to take in a herd of three boars. I'm thinking of trying fleece this time around. Who sells good piggy pads these days? Or what kind of fleece should we buy? How do you layer the towels under the fleece? One or two layers of towel?

Thanks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Yay for you, RS! I hope you have fun with your new herd of boars!!

I think everyone on this page makes good products:
http://www.guinealynx.info/fun.html

Whatever you settle on, I hope it works for you!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 am

Mr. RS wants NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BEDDING, just the snuggling. I wanted just two, but the trio are happy together, so how can I say no to one of them? What's one more pig? Thanks for the link. I'll be shopping, I expect. I've already talked to Junior about how she WILL be taking care of these guys and I think fleece with towels might be a good way to recycle some older towels that we don't like as much anymore.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Turns out the former owners gave us fleece and a UHaul underpad, so for the short term we are ready to go on fleece. I'll probably order some cage pads when I figure out the final form. I have the parts for a large C&C with a loft but getting it reassembled in the new space will take some math.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Hoping you can add pictures later!

ElizabethB30

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:35 pm

I put an old towel under my fleece yesterday and I must say I’m impressed! It’s dry as a bone.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Then your fleece isn't wicking properly. The fleece should be dry and the towel should be wet.

ElizabethB30

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Also, you need to make sure you don’t use any fabric softener when you wash it.

I had a bunch of old fleece blankets from my daughter when we got our pigs, and I’m really glad! They tend to be small and not good as actual blankets. For the cage I have now, one split in half fits nicely. I’ll probably have to think of something different when I get my C&C cage.

Puppy pads weren’t working for me. I also think fleece and towels are much more cost effective. I buy hay in bulk and line the “kitchen” with it, and they tend to use the bathroom in the hay room.

16 posts • Page 1 of 1