Help!They’re fighting and I don’t know what to do

GoldenGirls

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:36 pm

I have 3 girls who I have had for almost a month now. They’ve been cagemates their entire lives from what was told to me. They are older and there is a mom and daughter pair(the baby is over almost 2 they said). The last two days they have been fighting and making each other squeal and will chase each other around and are just bullying. There isn’t one who Is more of an instigator then the others so separating wouldn’t help, plus when I have separated they gnaw at the cages relentlessly(I haven’t separated in awhile) and try to shove to find a way to get through the other side. They get floor time, each one has an area to hide, plenty of hay, food and water. I just don’t know what is going on? I thought I was doing the right thing by adopting instead of buying but it leaves me with such a blank insight because they are older. Also I don’t put my hands in there and try to let them sort it out but I’m getting more and more nervous because it seems to be escalating. I have done everything I’ve read to do but can’t seem to get it right.

** I should add that I am not implying that I wish to give them away. They’re here to stay the rest of their days. I just want them to be happy pigs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 pm

One, or two, or all of them may be in heat. It'll probably calm down soon, but may recur in a couple of weeks.

The other possibility is that one of them has something wrong with it. Guinea pigs can sense when something is "off" about another pig, and will follow and sniff and generally pester the sick one. So it's worth paying close attention to them all to see if one is coming down with something.

The third possibility, if it's only one of the pigs doing the chasing, is that she's the one feeling ill and is trying to steal cecotropes from the others.

How large is the cage? and how much of the floor space do the hideys take up? They need room to roam, and to stay out of each other's way.

GoldenGirls

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:38 pm

One of them is going to the vet on Friday for her teeth, but the others seem healthy. There is 3 of them in a 2x5 cage. Their floor time is in a huge area(two of those baby gate yards together). Their hideys are out of the way enough that they have a decent area.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1