Indiana Died

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Another pig gone. My Indy, my special needs girl, has died. I noticed she was being odd yesterday but didn’t think anything of it because it’s not unusual for her to be odd. This morning I had to rush to work so I threw in their food and just got home at 9 pm. I don’t even know when she passed. Bambi seems okay, but I’ve not had a single pig in almost 10 years. I feel like I’ve failed them both.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I am so sorry for you. It hurts so much to lose one of these little guinea pigs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:19 am

I'm so sorry.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 am

Thank you. She was the last of my original trio of girls. Her 5th birthday is around now. I got her 5 years ago at the end of November. She was a sick little 3 weeks old girl. They told me she’d live only a few months. She showed them all how tough she was.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:03 am

ClemmyOddieIndy, I'm so very sorry. Rest in peace, Indy. You are loved and missed.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 am

I’m running into problems finding a single adult female within a reasonable distance. There are some bonded pairs, but I worry they will team up on Bambi. I’m going to Chicago in a few weeks. I’m thinking I’ll keep an eye on the quad cities to see what they have. But, I’d hoped to find one before that. Bambi has become very quiet. I’m worried about her. I’ve always had another pig for them to mourn with. It kept stability in their world when one passed.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm really sorry about Indy. Rest well little pig.

The Humane Society in St. Louis has a bunch of pigs right now. I don't know how long of a drive that would be.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Thank you GrannyJu1 and Bookfan. I'm in Central Iowa. I did look at St. Louis. It's about 6 hours away. It's not something I'd be opposed to driving for the right pig. But, it'd be hard for me to get away anytime in the next for weeks for a weekend trip to St. Louis.

I found a mama pig in a shelter about 40 miles away. It's a town I visit about once a week for a meeting. She looks sweet, and I plan to stop by and see her tomorrow. Their website says they only adopt out in pairs, but I double checked today and they said they'd adopt her out as a companion to another pig. However, I also found out today she is in with her three babies, who are 6 weeks old, and not yet sexed. So, crossing fingers all the babies are girls because I won't take her home with a risk of pregnancy. I'm pretty shocked that this shelter would allow this, because they are not the type of shelter that does not have experience with guinea pigs.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 am

I hope this works out for you. That's certainly closer.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm

There was a misunderstanding on my part. The three babies are all girls. I brought home Piper (mama) to be Bambi's new cage mate. She's a 6 month old black and orange abby.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am

Yea! Welcome Piper. Lucky pig, you've come to a good home.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Thank you Bookfan. I'm excited to have a new little girl. But, it's also sad because I actually think Piper would have been a good fit for my trio I'd been trying to form prior to Indy's death. Piper is a pretty sweet and laid back pig. She reminds me of Bambi a lot in personality. I'm actually torn with whether or not I want to go back and get one of her daughters. I did not want a bonded buddy because I was worried that it would result in a two against one during introductions. However, after thinking it over last night... I think a baby and mama would be okay. The baby is tiny enough she can't really harass Bambi.