Best kinds of cages for 2 guinea pigs?

Kaitlyn Heather

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

So this is my first time posting in here. I'm a first-time guinea pig owner. I want to upgrade our guinea pigs' cage (we have 2 brothers), and I am so overwhelmed with all the different kinds. Help! Please post pictures of what you are using, if possible. I just want something fairly easy to clean and roomy enough for my rowdy pair.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Cubes and coroplast (C&C) are the easiest to manage, build, remodel, etc. There's lots of information about them over at http://www.guineapigcages.com, and jillions of pictures in the photo galleries there. If you don't want to build your own and have the money for shipping, you can buy them pre-cut and ready to put together at http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

With two males, you'll need at least 12-14 square feet.

Sprout27

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:07 pm

I agree with bpatters, c&c cages are fantastic! And they go very well with fleece bedding, which is incredibly easy to clean. I have two female guinea pigs, and they live in a 5×2 grid c&c cage. (I know that sounds really big, but trust me once they're in there it seems much smaller!)

JX4

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I like our C&C cage and fleece flipper bedding, which we got from the guineapigcage store online. I'm not much for building my own stuff, so it was nice to have it come pre-cut and all we had to do was assemble it. It was easy to assemble, too.

For two males, a 2 x 5 grid C&C is the smallest I'd go for, bigger is better - but no smaller than a 2 x 5 grid cage.

Kaitlyn Heather

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Can I piggyback off my original post? How often do you have to change out the fleece completely? I might make the switch from shavings.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:13 pm

How often the fleece has to be changed depends, to a great degree, on the size of the cage. Large cages need changing much less frequently than small cages do.

Another factor is how you feed the hay. If you put it in something like a kitty litter pan, a lot of pig output will go in the pan, and that helps keep the fleece clean.

Worst case, you'll have to change ever 2-3 days. Best case, once a week.

Kaitlyn Heather

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 pm

You're awesome, thanks!!

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 am

You do need a little broom and dustpan to sweep poos up daily.

JX4

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:15 pm

The bigger the cage, the longer you can go between complete cleanings. I keep a small hand vac only for piggy poo pellets that I use to vacuum up the poo pellets daily. A small broom and dustpan works too, but I find vacuuming them easier if you are using the fleece flipper panels. I keep hay confined to two lofts on each end of our cage. The fleece under them needs to be changed frequently because that's where they do most of their pee and poop. I don't use flippers there, just fleece liners. I use a small hand rake to rake up the soiled hay daily, then sweep that pile into a dustpan and dispose.

I used to use bedding in the hay lofts, but that was a pain to clean up compared to the fleece, and more expensive. The fleece flippers are expensive at first, but you end up paying less over a long period of time because bedding is expensive too, and you can't re-use it like you can the fleece.

I brush off all the loose hay and hair that I can from the fleece liners and flipper covers, then toss the fleece and U-Haul absorbent layers into the washing machine. My machine is a front loader and has a "sanitize" setting that uses extra hot water and runs a two-hour cycle. I pour some vinegar in with the detergent for that wash, then dry normally in the dryer. I usually toss in a cleaning cycle after I do a load of dirty fleece just for my own preference, and we wash the fleece weekly.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1