Guinea pig bereavement question

Sprout27

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello! I have a bit of an unusual question.

For those who have owned guinea pigs for a very long time, how do you handle the ongoing need to adopt another guinea pig when one passes away and leaves a single piggy? None of my piggies so far have coped well with being alone.

The only reason I ask is because some of my family members aren't keen on the idea of owning guinea pigs indefinitely. (I'm very happy with the idea of owning guinea pigs indefinitely, I adore them, but some of my other family members are not!) I think this is what people mean when they say, "guinea pigs are for life!"

Something I've considered for the future is fostering, but wouldn't that cause a guinea pig even more stress if they bonded with a new pig, only for it to eventually leave for a permanent home?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

I think you have the right idea in always owning guinea pigs if you love them and this is the right thing for you and for your pets! Some rescues have older guinea pigs that are not adoptable. Maybe looking into one of those?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Or find a rescue to foster for. Then when your last pig dies, you can return the other pig to the rescue.