Advice on herds?

Katie95

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello everyone!

I’m a fairly new Guinea pig owner to two happily bonded boys. It’s been so fun to watch them open up to me, happily popcorn around their cage, and get excited over new veggies. Just want to quickly say thanks to y’all for your advice and forum as it’s helped me out a lot ☺️

Long intro aside, I have a sort of “future” question. I can definitely see myself in the future wanting to add pigs to my mini herd I have going on. What are your guys experience with adding more pigs? I’m aware of the size requirements for adding pigs, especially since I have males, but I have heard that three males is a big no-no and doesn’t usually work. I also hear adding a spayed female would cause my males to fight. Would you recommend just leaving the boys be and making another c&c for any future pigs? Or is their a proper way to introduce more pigs into one enclosure?

Thanks in advance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Yep, I'd leave the boys as they are, and put any new pigs into a new cage.

Sometimes a large herd of boars will work, but not nearly always. And you may wind up with a bunch of solo pigs, none of whom will live with another pig.

If you want large herds of guinea pigs, sows are a MUCH better bet.

Katie95

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for your response! Yeah I’ve heard horror stories of new introductions causing bonded males to no longer be able to coexist together without fighting. Definitely don’t want that to happen! I had hoped there was a way to integrate them into a bigger group but thinking about it I’ll probably just try out a herd of sows separately. Stinks because of course I’d love all piggies together but I don’t want to risk going backwards and stressing them out just because I’d like a big group :)

JX4

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I have a herd of six piggies. One is a neutered male and the other five are females. Three of the females were babies born to us. (We started out with three pigs; we thought all three were female. But one wasn't. He got neutered as soon as we realized the mistake, but both the females were pregnant.)

One neutered male works very well with a bunch of females, but not more than one. If you want to build a herd, look for a litter of female babies. They will be very tightly bonded as they have been together since birth. Ours are so tightly bonded I can take one out for a month or more due to medical issues and just plop her back in with everyone and nobody bats an eye and they all act like she was never gone. That is really not normal.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 pm

I used to have a herd of six boars and the one that didn't want to play well was actually brother to two of the other boars. Go figure.

There are some good tips for introductions around here. My current herd is, as I understand it, three unrelated boars introduced over the course of a year. They do best when everyone has a pigloo of his own, and there are extra water bottles and extra food dishes so that no one pig can guard everything.

You might also consider talking to a rescue about a younger pig (younger than your boars) or submissive pigs. One of my best pairings was Jules and Steve because they were so docile with each other. When I got Jules, I had talked to the rescue about what kind of pig I needed and they matched me up.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1