Tips on convincing a young picky pig that veggies are good?

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 pm

I could use some suggestions. I've got two young sows and one of them just doesn't seem to get it. Before I've just let the veggies sit in the cage, and either the pig will just figure it out or once they see another pig eating them they'll get jealous and start eating them then.

Those are the only tricks I know... The picky one apparently doesn't have the "I want what you have" instinct cause she sees the other one eating them all the time, and of course just setting them in the food bowl and waiting it out doesn't work either because the other one just eats them right away. I've tried offering veggies during laptime alone, but no dice so far. She'll sniff at them but ultimately turn up her nose.

She will take a hay seed blossom/flower thing from my hand, and she will nibble a little at the Oxbow Vitamin C cookies or "Simple Rewards" baked treats. I've been trying to think if I could use those somehow in getting her to try fresh veg, but no ideas have come to my head. Now would be the time to get her to try new foods since she's still young... So far I've tried lettuce, red bell pepper, carrot, cucumber, and banana. It's been about a month so far- I'll keep trying new foods to see if I can find one that'll click with her, but anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or tricks in the meantime?

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Oh, that's a great idea. Thanks bpatters! Wish that had come up on my Google search- will definitely try that.

Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am

Great tip bpatters!!

My trick is, that when a pig is not tempted even by a cage buddy, as soon as the trusts you, to chew veggies right in front of their nose, repeating the word you use fr serving pellets and hay constantly, like nommies, yummies, etc. Never failed me so far in oh so many years.

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 am

It's funny, I call them when it's time for veggies and she's picked up that she's supposed to wheek for them along with everyone else! She'll just beg and beg and then when I offer it... turn up the nose and strut away :P What a pig.

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am

Yes, we've long recommended mincing vegetables finely and sprinkling them on the pellets. It will get the taste of the food into the guinea pig.

I posted back in 2006:
Some people finely mince some of the vegs and sprinkle some over a small amount of pellets. If you've ever hand fed a pig with a syringe, it might be possible to juice a few of the vegs and syringe the juice. Also, there's a good chance the new pig you get will be a vegetable eater. Competition and demonstration may help.

bpatters has a few additional tips! I am sure you will win!

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Sigh... still working on it. I'm reasonably sure she's at least getting SOME pepper with the pellets, or at least the juice soaked into the pellets. But she still won't touch a bigger size of veggie. And she's become one of my loudest wheekers when I come around with treats, which confuses me cause she obviously doesn't get it. I guess she hears everyone else getting excited so she decides she should be too, even though she doesn't understand what it's about.

I started introducing her and her sister to the rest of the herd today, too, but forgot that she's still dependent on the alfalfa pellets for calcium since she's still pretty little. And since I can't just switch her to timothy pellets and give her some calcium-rich veggies to make up for it, can't move her to the big cage yet which is a bummer cause floor time introductions went really, really well. And also because she and her sister are getting a bit big for the quarantine cage.... hurry up, Daisy! Learn to eat your veggies! o:<

Maybe it's time to see if she'll take pepper juice from a syringe.

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Sometimes I have rubbed the veggies/veggie juice onto treats before feeding them to the piggies. That works well with the simple rewards treats, they can soak up some of the juice. You can also feed both at the same time, though Daisy will probably figure out which one she wants and leave the other one.

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:13 am

Heyy, I stuck with it for a couple more days and she's taking some pepper now! :D

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 pm

How old is she? I'd go ahead and let her eat timothy pellets.

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Yes the pellet method worked for my pig. Do minced veggies all kinds and every couple days lessen the amount of pellets until none :)

11 posts • Page 1 of 1